Lump

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NevadaJoe, May 3, 2009.

1. NevadaJoe

NevadaJoe New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Ok, so, today I again did something I shouldn't have. I went to the local auction. And of course, I wanted to bring everything home. However, I managed to tell myself no. Until I spotted the cutest little baby goats. And long story short, I bought them both.

They are two days old, brothers, and have tattoos in their ears. One is doing great. He eats from the bottle, and is perky. The other is a little lethargic, and hasn't eaten anything, except for some milk I made him drink (although most probably dribbled out of his mouth rather then made it to his tummy). He also has a lump under his jaw, it's soft and squishy.

Does anyone know what the lump could be? And how can I make the little fella eat? Also, what are the tattoos for? Does that mean they are registered, or ?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It does sound like that....but will begin to appear at about a week of age....Are you sure they aren't at least a week old? If they are then it is normal.... :wink:

On the kid that won't eat ....have you taken the kids temp?

What kind of milk are you feeding.?

4. NevadaJoe

NevadaJoe New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks, the reading was very good! Another question though.. what if there's two? I just found another lump while trying to get him to eat. The one is under the jaw, and one is further down on the neck. Can it be milk goiter with two lumps?

I will defiently have to take pictures and share! They are adorable little boys, a little shy, but sweet. I'm pretty sure they are two days old. They both have tape around their neck (not sticky though) that says when they were born (the 30th) and their tattoo number.

The one who seems in better spirits then the other has diarrhea, should I be concerned?

I'm not sure what the milk replacer is, I'll have to find where I put the bucket. The feedstore owner recommended it.

And I didn't even think of that, I will defiently have to take his temp.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hmmm....I'm going to have to think on that one....milk goiter is like 1 week of age and older... I think? :scratch:

Milk replacer :...alot of people are claiming to be having problems with it...

With the diarrhea.... it can be caused by diet change....cocci....worms...it is most likely caused by diet change....try and give 2 1/2 cc of pepto bismol ...if no improvement then have a fecal done.....keep the kid from getting dehydrated.....

give the kids nutra drench....it is packed with vitamins...and maybe a bo-se shot....

hopefully they did get there colostrum.... :hug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    two lumps? hmm, thats new to me...yeah i'd give some nutridrench and take a temp like pam mentioned

7. NevadaJoe

NevadaJoe New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks everyone! I'll be heading to the feedstore in a little bit to look for the drench and to pick up a thermometer.

The healthiest little boy, who I have decided to name Kujo, is doing great. He eats with gusto, and the only problem he seems to have is the diarrhea.

The other one, who I think I'll name Rowdy (in hopes that he gets healthy soon and live up to the name) is doing better. He still won't eat enless we force the nipple in his mouth, but now at least he is sucking instead of just sitting there with it in his mouth. The lump under his jaw is soft, while the one on his neck is a little more firm. He still isn't very active. Once he's done eating, and I put him back in the box, he immediately lays down. Kujo trys to play, but is very caerful of his brother. It's adorable to watch.

I was worried too that they might not have gotten colostrum, but at two-three days old (and they see mostly alright) is it safe to say that they don't need it? I was reading the colostrum bag at the feedstore, and it said only in the first 24 hours to give, so should I not worry about it since they seem to be alright?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah the colostrum should be within the first 24 hours. So at this point you just have to watch them extra close to that 5 week mark when they are building their immune system and such. It is kind of like the crucial time.

are you feeding formula? I would try mixing less formula and more water to see if that helps or more formula and less water to see if a different mixture helps.

Some pepto should firm up his stools a bit.

How often are you feeding them and how much? feeding to much at once can cause the runs. I like to feed young kids like every 2 hours 2-4 ounces at a time.

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes they will get a salivary cyst, I had a little week old get one once, it's usually on the jaw. So it could be that, and then the other just a milk goiter. Pictures would be good though.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Being that young and all other possible reasons are thrown out, I am wondering if these may be "primitive" wattles....they are not always where they "should" be :shrug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Can you get a picture of the lump? Or at least where it is?

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Pictures would be great. You can also aspirate it and see what you get from one of them.