Lumps in all the bad places

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bbredmom, Oct 20, 2010.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We were messing with the momma goats this afternoon, who are much tamer than their kids, when one of the kids actually decided to come up for scritches.

As I was scritching, I saw a lump on her side.

Then I found a lump in her chest.

And they are both scaly and losing hair, and slightly squishy.

*sigh*

No lumps on anyone else, and we checked them all. She's only 6 months old, so too young for the secretion test, right?

Pics for confirmation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Definately separate her, those are getting ripe and ready to burst. You can send in the pus that comes from them to be tested as well as a blood test but I'd definatelty want to keep her separate and have them cleaned out. 6 months is the youngest a goat can be tested for CAE/ Cl

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    She is separated. How long until they burst you think? I'm going to try the formalin procedure recommended at TN Meat Goats, but it wont be here until monday or tuesday.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it is squishy as you mentioned.... if she hits it....or rubs it ..just right.... it can burst at any time.... hopefully... she can hold out... til you can get formalin.... :hug:

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Have you had any confirmed (by testing) cases of CL in any of your goats? If not, I wouldn't rule out something as simple as straw/hay abscess's. Definitely have the fluid tested for CL.... but also check for lice/mites as she could just have abscess's from splinters from rubbing on straw, hay, wood......because she is itchy. :)

6. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    No, we just found it tonite and immediately put her in the quarantine pen.

I'm not too hopeful its anything else. One is right infront of her hip, and the other is on the right side of her chest next to the leg.

Any idea where to buy formalin locally? And has penicillian ever at least slowed it down?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know -- formalin is used in embalming so I cant see it being easy to come by

I would have her at least blood tested first. But testing the gunk will let you know for sure. Then you can use the precaution of any other methods you so choose. I personally would just want to know what exactly I am dealing with. Because for the CL abscesses to form on just one doe in your herd who is so young seems odd but if so it means you have other infected goats more then likely who spread it to her.

But like Jess said it could be from a bug bite, splinter or even an injection

knowing the cause will greatly aid you in what your next steps should be.

8. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah, I thought it was strange too, but the two lumps are in the right places...

I'm going to inject some pen-d into both of them tonite. They've done some research down in Texas that showed Penicillian did make a difference.

http://www.cvbd.org/3054.0.html?&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1353&tx_ttnews[backPid]=3053&cHash=abbf36e4e8

My husband is off work tomorrow, so he is going to take her to the vet.

Sigh. And I think she is pregnant, which really pisses me off because she is too young and it would have been by her half brother before I bought them.

ETA: Formalin is the same as Ick Guard 2, which you buy to treat ick in fishes. So if it is CL, at least I know where to find it.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you purchased her? I was under the impression she was one of your kids born, sorry. Yah then she could have contracted it where you purchased her from.

But hopefully the vet will aspirate the fluid/pus and send it off for testing, I would tell him thats what I wanted done.

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah, I purchased three does, all sisters, and their kids, one 3 month buck and one 5 month doeling. They've been here almost two months now, and this is the first lump I've seen, besides the jaw bite on Lady I freaked out about.

So is there a chance this isn't CL? Her mom has no lesions at all, none of them do. She went from the place she was born, into our van, and into our yard. None of my previous goats have ever had lesions of any sort. And these just appeared so quick.

I guess I should go try and drain it, or should I wait until the vet looks at it and sends it off?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you can drain it and send it in for testing through WADDL that would save you the price of the vet trip :thumb:

12. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    What would I send it in?

ETA: Nevermind, found their website and instructions. And of course they wont be testing for CL again until next wednesday.

I feeling the beginning of a teeny, tiny itsy bitsy panic coming on. Very small.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Either way if you vet sends it out or you do you are at the mercy of when the labs are doing that specific testing.

You can check with UC Davis to see if you can send it there.

I would call up WADDL and see what your options are. They are real nice. They may do the culture testing on a different day then the serology testing.

14. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    If I go ahead and draw the pus tonite, but I can't get a red top until tomorrow, can I store the pus in the syringe in a baggie in a sealed box in my fridge?

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, it can be kept in the syringe until you can put it in a red top...the baggie is a good idea too, you don't want to contaminate the sample with anything else.

16. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ok. I'm off to doctor a goat. Wish me luck....

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sending lots of luck your way

18. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yep. Its CL. I tried to draw, and got nothing. I thought maybe I wasn't far enough in, so I held the lump better and tried again. And it began to rip. And cheesy white grossness with no odor came out.

Luckily we thought to do this on an open dog food bag with newspapers and rubber gloves. We are burning everything, including our clothes and the roll of papertowels.

I cleaned out both lumps, doused them with pen-d, and idodine.

She is now in a part of the yard inaccesable to the goats, and within that, an 8x10 kennel.

Heres my plan.

Draw blood on the other six goats. Send it in to waddl, have them tested.

Negatives will get immediate dosage of Case-bac. Positives....I haven't decided that part yet. I got these goats to start over right. I wanted healthy, quality goats, that maybe I could get into breeding. Not big time, but just a little. And now my farm is possibly contaminated.

I even specifically asked the woman I bought them from if they had been tested for CL. She told me no, all came back negative.

This is really, really crappy. I'm hoping, maybe, maybe, she's the only one who has it since none of the others are showing signs, and she hasn't had an abcess burst in the almost two months she has been here.

Advice?

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would still send it in

20. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Could it be something else? I was going to draw her blood anyway, but dont give me any false hope.

Is CL tramsittable in the womb? or is it just thru the milk?