The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a goat who has two hard lumps in her throat. It is not CL, I know that, it looks like two lymph glands got infected. She has been sluggish and has less of an interest in food.

I put her on some penicillin, but that didn't do much. My vet said that lumps could be caused by mineral deficiency, so I have added extra minerals to their food.

I wormed her a month ago, and wormed her again with a different wormer last week because I have heard that worms can also cause lumps. Despite all this, nothing has really changed. Help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can get a photo, however, they aren't very visible, if at all. My herd is CL negative, and all the farms I have bought from are also CL negative. The lumps aren't soft like CL, and they haven't been growing. Although the neck area is a viable spot for CL, I really don't think that is what it is. However, I won't rule that out.

We noticed the bumps when she started to lose her appetite about a week and a half ago. The mineral is Sweetlix Goat mineral.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,979 Posts
I would start with the fecal and go from there then.
Also, let us know the results from the fecal. We will be able to tell you more then.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I would put iodine on her tail Web. The naked part of her tail. Of out disappears in 24 hours then she is deficient in iodine. If so continue this for 5 days and then consider adding kelp or iodized salt to her diet. Commercial feeds have salt but not iodized salt in them. I have one high producer that I have to dose with iodine one a week to keep her from swelling up again.

·
Super Moderator
35,069 Posts
How old is she? CL can take about 2 years after exposer to show a cyst...so if you bought her within that time frame it could very well be CL. CL is not a soft lump until it is ready to burst..but you can feel up and under them...meaning..you can pinch under them. CL can be as tiny as a pea or as large as a gulf ball... a good source to read is http://www.myotonicgoatregistry.net/ArticlesAndReferences/AbscessesInformation/Abscesses.html
Cl is not just an external problem..if she was exposed she could very well have CL internally as well and that would account for her feeling bad. I hope this is not the case and I pray she feels better soon.

a

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.