Lumps near Ribcage

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KifSpots, Aug 1, 2010.

1. KifSpots

KifSpots New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Jacksonville, Oregon
    Hi everyone!

We just got 2 new purebred Nubian bucklings. They are gorgeous little boys who have been debuded and have started eating hay.

According to the breeder, they are 6 weeks old, but they are very large for their age. They have been bottlefed on a half-and-half mixture of goats milk and cows milk.

Their coats and skin are soft, shiny and flake-free.

However, despite all of this, I noticed one one buck kid has 2 tiny hard lumps on either side of his ribcage (where his forelegs and his body connect). The second buckling has one small hard lump on one side of his ribcage, where his forelegs meet his body.

They are not soft, squishy lumps and they are not located on the necks or jaws of either buckling. Only on their sides, and they are hard, tiny lumps.

What could these lumps be? It's not CL, and they look far too healthy to be infested with internal parasites.

Anyone have any ideas????

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would ask the breeder if she vaccinates - sound like vaccination lumps from the CD/T

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, sounds like vac bumps. Some get large enough to abcess while others stay small.

4. KifSpots

KifSpots New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Jacksonville, Oregon
    I called the breeder, and he confirmed that the owner vaccinates her own goats and that they do in fact develop lumps from it. Since they are very small and hard, is it possible that they'll eventually go away?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They will go away, I vaccinate my own herd and 3 of the 9 will get abcesses at the injection site the others just get these little bumps that disappear after a few weeks. IF by chance your boys get abcesses, just flush them with gentled iodine and they'll heal fine.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep... they can abscess and they do eventually go away... :wink: