The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from vet. She tried to aspirate the lump and all she could get was a very small amount of blood. Nothing else. She also said she used large needles to aspirate with and if it was CL it would come out kinda like a worm, meaning that if thick it would still get some of it. She doesn't think it is CL. But some infection from something. She check temp and was 103.3 F. She gave a shot of dexomethone (spelling wrong) it is a anti inflammatory similar to banamine. She said quarantine him for couple days and watch him. She said she didn't think it was CL. Praying he is going to be alright.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got back from vet. She tried to aspirate the lump and all she could get was a very small amount of blood. Nothing else. She also said she used large needles to aspirate with and if it was CL it would come out kinda like a worm, meaning that if thick it would still get some of it. She doesn't think it is CL. But some infection from something. She check temp and was 103.3 F. She gave a shot of dexomethone (spelling wrong) it is a anti inflammatory similar to banamine. She said quarantine him for couple days and watch him. She said she didn't think it was CL. Praying he is going to be alright.
This is the same goat I have posted before with all the temperature problems. I decided to start a new topic. Good or bad that's what I done. I still now don't know anymore than when I started. This CL scare has about done me in. I have him quarantined right now and fixing to go to pastures to check everybody and trim a few hooves. Thanks

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the same goat I have posted before with all the temperature problems. I decided to start a new topic. Good or bad that's what I done. I still now don't know anymore than when I started. This CL scare has about done me in. I have him quarantined right now and fixing to go to pastures to check everybody and trim a few hooves. Thanks
I just got back from feeding and when I checked him his lump is down to half of the size of what it was. Thank God

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if it is a sting or spider bite.
????maybe be, but he had another on the other side but smaller. This morning they were down on size some, maybe about half. He ate all his alfalfa and oats, drank water and eat some hay. Now he is in my back yard intridged by my dog. He just stands and watches her. I was weed eating this morning and he was under foot the whole time. He is not scared of any power tool. He seems to have spent a lot of time with people.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess time will tell. Hopefully not CL.
Today the lump is down to about diameter of a quarter and snout 1/8 inch thick. I have had her quarantine since Friday night. Should I get another shot of dexamethone and give her. When can he go back to population?

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll call the vet tomorrow and get some more dexamethone. I didn’t think Cl would respond to any medicine. If so then that would rule out CL. Right?

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll call the vet tomorrow and get some more dexamethone. I didn't think Cl would respond to any medicine. If so then that would rule out CL. Right?
Is banamine close to dexamethone? Could it be used instead?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Newbie here...
What is CL?
It is short for Caseous Lymphaticdintis
(Spelling not exact) that is something that goats can't get and you don't want. It is an infection internally that the goats body will quarantine the infection in capsule type bumps or knots if you will on or around lymph node areas. The goat is normally not affected by the knots knots health wise as related to weight, appearance, appetite or normal function. The problem is that once a goat gets it she/he never really gets rid of it. There is no problem unless one of the knots abscesses and pops open. That's when all h..ll breaks loose. It will infect the whole herd because this stuff gets on fences, water pans, stalls and even in the soil. Once you have it you have to eradicate the whole herd and for several years your land is a no no for goats, sheep and mayBe even cows. I don't think I have misguided you here on this but if I have I'm sorry and some more knowledgeable people will chime in. there is a vaccine but if you ever give it then your herd will test positive as long as you have them. I'm no expert but I've been there and it's no picnic. Be very careful bringing in new goats without testing. I pray I have given you no false info.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vet said give another dex shot which I did. The bumps/lumps are still there but much smaller. Vet says it not CL and she thinks he can go back in with herd. I still have him isolated for the time being. The bumps now are about 1/3 the size they were. Maybe about the size of a nickel and twice as thick. They had gotten to about the size of a boiled egg cut in half length wise. After the shot they shrunk a lot. If not CL what else could it be, I mean by being on both sides of his neck in same location. The dexamethone cause them to shrink. If CL it wouldn’t have done any thing right like shrinking, right? Thanks

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still think it was the CDT shot that caused it.
Should I not give the 2nd round of CD-T shot? It will be due in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts