The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I started with a few goats. But mow I have found that my calling is to do a goat dairy. So I want to start to learn more about line breeding and selective breeding. The reason mostly is because I have a Nigerian/ oberhasli buckling that I would like to breed with my other oberhasli.... now the Bucks mother and the doe have the same father but completely different mothers. Now I have looked them both over very well looking at traites from them and there mothers as well as there father. They both have a nice straight top line feet are correct and they have a strong front end with a nice pronuced brisket. I would like to bred them but I am unsure if this is to close?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would probably do it, watch very carefully for any undesirable traits cropping up in the offspring, and then if I retained any doelings i would use a completely unrelated buck on them. My Toggs were the result of a father/daughter cross. They got 95% of the good stuff from their father's line, and 10% bad stuff. The 10% is the micro-tiny teat structure from their father's line.

·
1,524 Posts
If it turns out to be a good cross, it's called line breeding. If it turns out bad, it's called inbreeding!

I've done the opposite, daughters to sire and had fantastic results. I also bred 2 different breeds with no lines in common for many, many generations and ended up with awful kids! All you can do is breed for what you want and hope for the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts