Lung worms?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Dec 21, 2010.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    So, Bill. Bill is always hacking and coughing around. He's done this since he had pnumonia when he was a kid. (Yes, he had pnumonia as a kid. He lived. Apparently vets in my area do not belive that a two-day-old kid can survive pnumonia. Bill did.) He's never coughed up anything but his cud. His poo looks like any other goat poo I have ever seen. He's never been wormed. What does it mean when a goat coughs? Could it be lungworms? Do I need a vet? Is coughing a leftover thing from a goat having pnumonia?
    :whatgoat:

2. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Not sure. I have an older doe who coughs a bunch. At first I thought it was the dust in the hay but after watching her she would cough with no hay or dust anywhere around. I read in a book to drench them with a good wormer. if lungworm is suspected. I gave her 5 cc of Ivormec SQ. It has been about 10 days and she still coughs a little but nothing like she did. Not sure if this remedied the cough but either it helped or something else helped it.

Maybe Liz, Stacey or another moderator will chime in they seem to be very knowledgable on this matter.

Tom

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How old is he? I have an almost 3yr old wether that had pneumonia when I brought him home at 12 weeks, didn't realize how sick he was when I bought him......anyhow, he coughed for almost a year after he got over it.......I did go ahead and wormed him with a wormer that covered lung worms to cover my basis.....but vet told me that it was quite normal because of the damage the pneumonia does. He never coughs now, but like I said it took a year. Vet told me to keep an eye on him, watch his temp, how he is acting and watch for any thick snots. He is now my healthiest!

One more thing.....when he was sick I called and talked with Mrs. Hoegger and she really suggested giving him an injection of Bovi Sera, they swear by it......I was at my wits end because my little guy was so sick.......so I did it and like I said he is now my healthiest......don't really know if it had anything to do with him getting well, but for me it was worth it.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Lungworms can be diagnosed through a fecal called a bearmann test - WADDL performs these :)

Treatment - is ivomec PLUS! Must be PLUS.

5. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    He's 7 months old now. It's only recently gotten worse, and he only coughs when he starts to run around like a hooligan. I'll talk to my dad about getting some meds to worm him up. Thanks so much for all of the help!