The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of my does had lungworm in the fall. Fast forward to now some of my goaties have been coughing. Thought maybe just the alfalfa I was feeding(super dry when feeding leaving a green dust cloud), but I sent a couple of samples to MeadowMist lab. Confirmed lungworm, said it was, (Of note, the lungworm detected is the less common strain). Dictyocaulus viviparus lungworm The does are pregnant now and due in April. Also one of my bucks has started coughing haven't gotten a sample from him yet. Treated the girls with Duramectin (ivermectin) paste 1.87% last fall three consecutive doses. Should I wait until after the kids are born to treat? Should I treat with something different?
Please give me your thoughts
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,617 Posts
With lung worm I would not wait. Ivomec injectable given orallyb1 cc per 33 pounds seems to be effective and safe for pregnant does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, next question. Should I weigh them again? I have a sling that I use for a hanging scale. Is that safe to use while they're pregnant? Or should I just use the same weight that I used last fall?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,617 Posts
I would estimate based in last weight and if they seem a bit larger add 10 pounds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
I agree with the above. It's safe on pregnant goats and be sure to do the 2 doses again. If not treated early enough they can be left with lung issues and still have coughing after recovered. So I wouldn't wait.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top