Lungworms

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Dec 25, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am posting this for my aunt, Victoria. They lost power AGAIN! Probably will not have it back for a week. :(

Okay, she has a couple goats who are coughing and she is wondering about lungworms. I'm not quite sure if this is how she wanted to word it but she needs to know what dewormer to use, how often, and if there is a certain dewormer you need to use first. She read that if you kill the lungworms and they are latched onto the goat, it will get anemia. I'm not sure I have this right, so hopefully I do. :question:

Thanks for any help!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If I remember right Ivomec Plus works for Lung worms. Redose in 10-14 days. I always give it SQ injection. Have never given it orally.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Do u know anything about the anemia goats can get?? It can happen with any parasite, right? If it's latched itself on the goat?? I'm confused about that. . . . It would have to be a terrible worm infestation to do that, right?

My aunt sent something (blood?) to a lab, to see if Guin had lungworms. She did this earlier this year, probably around July. It came back negative. This doe has always had a cough.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Anemia is caused by anything that drains the red blood cells or destroys them. I m not sure if lungworms do that or not. But lice, worms, or parasite infestation can definately cause it.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a new doe at my house last year and she was coughing like crazy. I did the Ivermectin orally and that is all it took. She was done with the cough, I believe I did it twice.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my goats all got lungworms in september.. i ggave everyone ivomectin orally and some nutridrench and they are all healthy and happy

when my goats had it they had really thick snot.. and it sometimes had blood in it.. its gross ( they got it from sheep at the fairs)

as for the anemia.. i would say just give the goats some molasses or nutridrench to boost them up... or b12

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone. :)

She didn't want to deworm them with something and then they would get anemia. So, I'll tell her about the Ivomec. Also, Valbazen treats lungworms, if she has that for the does that are not preggo.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The worms cause the anemia, not the de-wormer. So deworming wont cause anemia, it will just cause the worms to die. Now if the goat is really really really infested with worms then killing them all at once can cause issues.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

So, the anemia would only really be a problem if it was a terrible infestation?

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They would already have anemia if they were really loaded with worms. Here is an article on worms and anemia:

http://bedford.extension.psu.edu/agricu ... asites.htm

Here is another one:
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... goats.html

So in other words, if they are wormy and not handling the worm load well then they would have anemia. When large amounts of worms are killed that creates a big stress on the body to expel the dead worms, but that did not create the anemia, the worms did.

I don't believe lungworms are big blood suckers, but I'm not sure since I have not had much experience with them.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    they aren't horribly bad suckers.. bt if there's enough of them it can be an issue..

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    How can you tell when there are too many? When they are constantly hacking away?
    I've never had any outbreaks of lungworm in my herd so I'm just curious.. is blood the only way to test for lungworms?
    Sometimes Libby will cough once in a while, and her nose will be a bit runny, but I've always thought it was just because of dust.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my doe who had it really bad had reall thick yellowish snot all the time.. it made it really hard for her to breathe. sometimes it was bloody .. and she hacked and coughed all the time.. didn't eat much either

the ones who weren't too bad would sneeze every once in awhile with this thick yellow snot with blood in it

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. My aunt checked eyelids and gums; healthy and pink.

The reason she started thinking lungworms is because this older does' son started coughing some too. Before it was just Guin and the vet said that her coughing could be due to scar tissue. But since Lance has started. His began with kind of a dry cough and now sounds like Guin's. She's began to look into some other things. Another doe of hers will sometimes cough just a little. Guin and Lance are the main ones coughing. . . .