The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading that Ivermectin is the best for lungworm treated, I have Ivermectin 1% injectable, is that ok or does it need to be something else? I just want to be sure! Also what would the doseage be per pounds?

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Ivomec injectable Orally is fine as long as the goat is not heavy loaded or anemic. If anemic..inject first dose 1 cc per 40 pounds. Sub q . It stings so expect a reaction

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We actually ended up doing safeguard because this doe was just bred less than a month ago and I wasn't sure if the ivermectin was safe for pregnant does. Is it?

There is this to, so were dewormed a couple days ago and this morning when I was milking I saw a tiny tiny tiny worm right next to her anus! No joke that made it super real for me. Now Im crazy anxious. She has good weight so aside from the coughing I would have never had guessed. Her famacha was a 3 yet and she is boistrous and super vibrant. I plan to hit her again woth the safeguard but how often is safe for a pregnant doe and do I need to do this multiple times?

Never really had a run in with worms yet so this was a smack in the face ugh.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Worms you see are tapeworm and the safeguard is flushing them out. Do 3-5 days in a row to clean them out. Safeguard does nothing for lung worm. Ivomec is safe for pregnant goats.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It really didn't look anything like the tape worms I have seen before. It was like a while really really thin earthworm/snakelike. Thin as thread, pointy ends and about 1/2" long. I will try to pickup Ivomec on Monday. All the local shops that would have it are closed til then :/ right now I have Safeguard and Ivermectin 1% injectable available. I also have valbazen but for pregnant does I know thats not safe.

I really don't want to have funky kids in the spring but I want to effectively deal with this.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Awe..thread worm. Safeguard should be effective.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
I will try to pickup Ivomec on Monday. All the local shops that would have it are closed til then :/ right now I have Safeguard and Ivermectin 1% injectable available. I also have valbazen but for pregnant does I know thats not safe.

I really don't want to have funky kids in the spring but I want to effectively deal with this.
Ivermectin 1% is the same as Ivomec. It's safe for preggos. No need to buy the brand name. I would give Safeguard and Ivermectin orally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts