The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will happen? I've heard it can make you really sick. I got a tiny bit on my hand and washed it immediately but I'm kinda freaking out

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
When I got some from my vet and picked it up, the vet tech told me about a time she got a tiny drop on her and it sent her hormones all whacky!
Like she had her period for FAR longer then she should have a few other things... She just told us to be very careful and wear gloves if we can..

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Lol! Sorry, not what you wanted to hear! Hopefully you'll be fine :) at least it won't make you like deathly I'll or anything :) lol

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
It could depend on the person too. I got a little on me and it had no affect at all. Unless you are pregnant, I wouldn't get too excited about it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
That's a good point Karen!
Yes, I agree... I personally would not handle it or wear lots of 'protective' gear while pregnant if you have to use it..
I've only had to use it once and that's just what the vet tech told me.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now one more question for y'all. Is there a link to a good diagram of how to give IM injections? I've done it one time a long time ago and can't remember exactly where

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I got some spilled on me when I was pregnant with my 4th son. Fortunately nothing happened and he went to term. But, no one should handle it if they are or might be pregnant. I had no choice, my ex refused to give the shot.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You should be fine. Some people's body's are just way more sensitive than others.
For some people, you can get your period earlier than normal, etc. While others are fine.
But just as a precaution, handle with care if you think you are, or are pregnant.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
It can cause bronchial spasms, so if you have asthma or are more susceptible to bronchitis I would be aware of any issues with your breathing. As far as giving IM shots, I ALWAYS give them in the neck, just imagine a triangle on their neck and give right in the center of the triangle. You can give in the rear leg, but you can hit a nerve and cause permanent damage. My vet told me that another vet he knew gave a horse a shot in the rump one time, hit that nerve and the horse went right down on the ground. He said he ended up being ok, but definitely scary. It is also much easier for me to hold the goats collar up (holding the head up) press them against the fence with my knee and give the shot in the neck, they usually won't jump too much and can't kick or jerk away from you as easy.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got some spilled on me when I was pregnant with my 4th son. Fortunately nothing happened and he went to term. But, no one should handle it if they are or might be pregnant. I had no choice, my ex refused to give the shot.
I'm trying to find the neck spot for IM injections but can't find a link or pic on here or anywhere really

1 - 14 of 14 Posts