The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a doe who has had issues settling. We don't have a buck and have to take her to a breeder. The nice folks let her stay almost 2 weeks last fall, but she never took. She has nearly silent heats. We talked with the breeder and our vet and decided to lute her. She is scheduled for her breeding tomorrow (sunday). She's a Nigerian. Vet and breeder both felt the lute would lick in in about a day with her (not the full 72 hours). We determined our best shot (haha) was to give the lute Friday night with feeding. We did so.

Last night it was so gorgeous out, hubby and I decided to sit out under the stars and relax. For several hours I observed Rosie (our doe) practicing goat yoga by moon light. She was hunching and stretching and flagging and licking her sides. This was only a few hours after the lute and REALLY late (like 1 am). This morning she's not doing any of that...though she's still pretty interested in trying to get out of the fence. I'm wondering if we "missed it"...with the show she put on. The breeder is only available tomorrow... It's so hard to time these things and she is really hard to read. Our wether wasn't interested in her last night and he's not interested today. He usually mounts our herd queen and his momma when they are in heat. What do you think? Did we miss our window this time around? I'm new to lute.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,787 Posts
I would probably trust the wether not being interested more than what you saw. They can do that stuff because they are happy. I would just try tomorrow with the breeding.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
I don't think you missed her heat. Is she still active? Sometimes wethers are biased to certain "beauties" (and bucks too!) and won't show any attention to anyone else.

I would go ahead with the breeding. You can always give another shot at day 10, and follow up with another session on day 13-14.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay good. Breeder isn't available today, so we will breed tomorrow as planned. Been outside and she's just really starting to act bucky (flehmen, doe mounting) and the wether isn't paying any attention yet. I think he will once she's truly ready. I've just never seen so much goat yoga business...it was cracking me up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,212 Posts
Just to give you a little information on the Lutalyse injection, those goatie yoga moves are natural after giving lute. I use to work for a large animal vet that did about 98% of all the equine AI in TN and some of the surrounding states. Out of all of the horse mares that we short cycled they all did the yoga moves after the injection (it is also quite common for them to sweat during this process as well). A good way to explain it is to imagine her having unnatural cramps that are making her uncomfortable. You did not miss her heat yet. Some animals do not cycle normally for unknown reasons and some do not cycle correctly due to underlying causes. I would plan to keep the scheduled breeding appointment the vet suggested.

Also understand that lutalyse is used to abort pregnancies as well. So be sure that she did not catch before using a second injection.

Best wishes for a happy breeding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I think the lute is working. That's good to know about the "goat yoga" and makes sense too. She seems more comfortable today, but is acting like a goat coming in to heat ;). Hoping for the best. She's two and our only registered doe, so we're pretty excited about this kidding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No luck with the buck....and we tried more than one. She freaked and ran from all of them. Here's hoping shot #2 does the trick in 10 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Hold her. That's what we had to do to one of ours. She was in a raging heat, very loud but get her next to the buck and forget it. She would run as far as she could. So we held her there. Bred her five times in two days. Morning, noon and night first day, than morning and night the next day. We had to work that day. She is due next month on the 13th.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
No luck with the buck....and we tried more than one. She freaked and ran from all of them. Here's hoping shot #2 does the trick in 10 days.
I agree with holding her. Does, especially nervous FF, they don't especially like the idea of being molested. Lol

You can always go ahead with the second shot anyway, this early in pregnancy the second shot usually doesn't abort them. This is a very common thing in cattle. Many people don't breed on the first heat, they wait till the second planned heat, around the 12-14th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The buck didn't even try to cover her. We did hold her. At least I know she's NOT bred...lol. This buck is wild about all my other ladies...and the two unrelated bucks she had acted the same way. I'm hoping the second shot does the trick...and we'll try again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay...Sunday was day 10, ready for shot #2 of Lute. We gave her the shot and we are certain she got all of it. This time though, she isn't reacting at all.....It's tuesday and she's not even puffy. she at least acted like she was in heat the first go around. We are going to take her to the buck tommorrow, but they only have time for a driveway breeding, where we will hold her and hope.

She's 2 years old and will be a FF...should I go ahead and get cystorellin and treat as if she were cystic (I have access to it) or should I have her examined by a vet first. I know the risks etc. with lute, but not enough about cystorellin. This is our only registered goat and I really need to get her settled. Her diet is very balanced (phosphorus / calcium, nutrient / mineral etc. and there are no health issues we know of). I made the mistake of making her my daughter's goat when we got her and told her we wouldn't ever sell Rosie as a way of making it easier for her to see other goats come and go...so she knows her goat stays no matter what....and now her goat is having an issue :(. I'm an attorney, I should know not to make promises....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's try this again...no responses last time;)....so today is day #3 AFTER the ten day shot. I'm supposed to breed her today...but we're not seeing any signs of heat. I'm probably only going to get one shot with my breeder...do I take her today as "scheduled" since she's not an obvious cycler anyhow, hold her and hope she gets bred or do I watchfully wait for heat on day 4 or 5. Remember, this is our second lute shot, 10 days after the first...we know she wasn't covered on the first one. We watched...unless he got her from 5 feet away...nothing happened;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No...they've had a busy week pop up. We can put them in a stall and watch / hold the doe if need be for proabably an hour...no more. She's had to separate goats and has one in a kidding pen earlier than expected so no extra overnight digs...not even if I bring a large crate. We have to work with what we've got.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
You can always get her checked out of course. I personally would put her in on her date and see what happens. Any response from the buck, etc.

If no response from him I personally would go ahead with a cystorelin lutalyse combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing happened...of course. We took her in, held her. Buck got right up their, sniffed her, did the flehmen thing, even tasted her pee (gross boys) and just acted disgusted and walked away. The other boys (younger) didn't put on as much of a show about it, but could've cared less. This is a buck who has been an eager and immediate breeder of my does this year...and is usually all over it even when the doe isn't quite ready to stand. He acted like my poor Rosie was gross and went to the farthest corner from her possible. sniff sniff.... I WANT KIDS! Time to call the vet....
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top