The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I have used lutalyse in horses and cattle before but this will be my first time using it in our goats. I have always used it with mares to short cycle but we had a minor mishap on the farm. Our buck lot fence went down (long story) and one buck made his way into the doeling lot. I had two 7 month old does, one 3 month old and 2 senior does in that lot since I had not planned to breed any of those this time out since they were still nursing kids. Well I know by the time I found out what had happened (my hubby and I had left the farm for a few hours and came back to the surprise) that the two 7 month old doelings appeared to have been covered (wet tails) and the 3 month old did not have signs but the buck was talking to her. I plan to dose those 3 with lutalyse but I am trying to remember if you do it 7 or 10 days out from the accidental breeding to prevent implantation. Also if I remember it correctly was it suppose to be 2 cc's for goats no matter weight or is there a weight calculation for goats on this? My vet was not sure on that since she has not used lutalyse in goats either.

So question recap since above post was long.

How many days out from accidental breeding to prevent implantation? 7 or 10 or other #

and

Dose amount in cc's? Is it 2 cc's

Thanks guys in advance for your answers!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I do 14 days out. You have to have a corpus luteum in order for it to work.

I have just done the 2cc.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the information. I am thinking I should probably do the 2 cc dose at least on the two 7 month old girls but what would your feeling be on the little 3 month old girl? Her mom is sensitive to shots (always acts like a drama queen), but she did ok with hers as a kid. I really don't think she got covered but I do not want to risk it. She is pretty petite in comparison to the other kids but she is the youngest of the bunch.

This is just different then what I was always use to doing with the mares. We would inject and then ultrasound every day until the follicle was ready.

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
You could always send a blood sample on to BioTracking. I would hate to do the 3 month old if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I've given Lute to young does as a precaution when a buck got in with them. I've yet to see a goat have any reaction to Lute at all. Which amazed me at first because when you give it to a mare they act like they are going to die for about 30 minutes. You'd probably be right to guess the 3 month old wasn't in heat and isn't bred, but the shot is so easy and harmless I would just do it at my farm. Taking the blood sample will be more traumatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts