The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have never had to abort a Nigerian Dwarf, but it seems i do now. Somehow, my tiniest yearling got in with the buck. She is very small and fine boned as her breeder breeds for the tiny sizes, the buck is just under maximum size allowed for a buck.

She did not get along with my existing herd and they picked on her. At some point she managed to get loose and I am assuming that she got into the bucks stall. I noticed yesterday that she has a tiny udder developing. I asked my son if he had seen her loose in the past few months, he replied yes, but he couldn't see any reason to call me at work to tell me and forgot about it by the time i got home the next day.

How much lute do I give her?

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Ok, I have never had to abort a Nigerian Dwarf, but it seems i do now. Somehow, my tiniest yearling got in with the buck. She is very small and fine boned as her breeder breeds for the tiny sizes, the buck is just under maximum size allowed for a buck.

She did not get along with my existing herd and they picked on her. At some point she managed to get loose and I am assuming that she got into the bucks stall. I noticed yesterday that she has a tiny udder developing. I asked my son if he had seen her loose in the past few months, he replied yes, but he couldn't see any reason to call me at work to tell me and forgot about it by the time i got home the next day.

How much lute do I give her?
I think it is 2ml. Not absolutely positive but pretty sure. Sorry she got out!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just for your information, as long as they are the same breed, if she is of sufficient maturity to kid she would likely be OK to carry to term. The issues with problematic parturition arise if you breed a mini doe to a standard buck. If you breed a mini doe to a mini buck, even if he's at the far end of the bell curve, she will probably be fine. Our ND buck is 100+lbs and slightly over height, but he has never thrown a too-large kid for his does, even the very small-framed ones.

If she's not mature and around 60-75% of her adult weight I'd abort, but otherwise I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is way to tiny to kid. My bucks tends to sire larger kids. This girl is not only tiny, but smaller framed. Her breeder breeds for very small Nigerians. When she bred this girls dam to an average sized buck for the 2021 season, she lost the dam and all 3 unborn kids. I am not taking a chance on the possibility of a large single kid. With my job hours, I can't make sure I would be there and my son and daughter in law would not be experienced enough to assist of needed.

Reactions: GoofyGoat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts