The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pissed. mostly at myself, but still, it makes me so mad.

As you guys know i let my does out to graze the barnyard. Baby is also in heat. i come back out nearly 10 minuites later to see both of the boys out fighting and mounting baby. CRAP. luckily they are both small so i picked them up and put them back, but i WAS NOT wanting to breed baby. Shes is 3 years old by the way. I was hoping to fatten her up more, but she isnt terribly bad. Maybe body condition of 3. I usually like them a bit heavier, because lactation takes it outta them

I also dont know who bred her first. I was hoping to breed to benji, buuuttt it looks to me harrison got her.

Should i lute? I didnt want her bred, nor did i want harrison to breed her. Or should i just let her have the babies. The last kidding she had was may 2019, so she is definitley ready, but i wish she was a lil fatter. Is there a way to DNA test the kids? Im just so angry.

What would you do? Please, keep this just according to farm things, personally i have no problem luting if it is for my animals health and safety, and also for breeding integrity, so if you disagree with the idea of luting, please skip this thread. I dont want to cause any fights, just want to know what you would do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
You can DNA through UC Davis when the kids are born.
Do you happen to know how much the DNA test is?
Honestly her being a tad on the thin side wouldn't worry he. She technically has about 3 1/2-4 months to put some weight on. And if she some how doesn't put it on like you would like and your not anti bottle kids (like me lol) then you could always pull all but 1.
Not knowing who dad is though would be the deal breaker. I have the same situation going on and had a buck break in with another's does and so I luted the does. I couldn't find how much the DNA test was and every kid in a doe could have 2 possible kids, so every kid would have to be DNA tested. For 1 doe, depending on price, it may not be too bad of a bill though. Or what I was planning on doing is just sell the kids and make it known the father is unknown, then you wouldn't have to worry about inbreeding or commercial kids (if they are registered).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
I'm pretty sure that DNA testing through ADGA is $30. I'm not sure if there's a difference if you go directly to say, UC Davis without a middleman.

I'll be finding out soon since I have a litter due next month with 3 potential sires due to a buck escape :p

Not quite the same, but when I had to have my KuneKune pigs done, it was $40 to go directly to the lab (I forget where they send it) or $30 through the Kunekune registry because they gave a member discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,236 Posts
I'd check with A&M on the DNA test prices.... but since you don't know who got her, you definitely don't want Harrison as her kids sire, and she's not where you want her body condition wise, that's three strikes you're out in my book... personally I'd lute her in two weeks. Then move forward under more controlled breeding conditions.
I hate it when these seductress types mess up our plans....but it's happened to most of us at one time or another.
Silly Baby ;)

Here's A&M's fees for DNA

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/?s=DNA&species=&post_type=tests&test-submit=Search+Tests
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I am still not sure what i am going to do. Seems like luting would be cheaper, and I could get my plans back on track. Another reason I dont really want her bred is because I will have 5 does kidding in March. I cant do that all by myself. I do be seeming to be leaning towards lute.
 

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
So, I am still not sure what i am going to do. Seems like luting would be cheaper, and I could get my plans back on track. Another reason I dont really want her bred is because I will have 5 does kidding in March. I cant do that all by myself. I do be seeming to be leaning towards lute.
It all comes down to your decision. You should do what you think is best, don't ever do anything you don't want to as a result of peer pressure. (I don't mean to offend anyone, I know you all are just giving your best advice ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
So, I am still not sure what i am going to do. Seems like luting would be cheaper, and I could get my plans back on track. Another reason I dont really want her bred is because I will have 5 does kidding in March. I cant do that all by myself. I do be seeming to be leaning towards lute.
Then that is what you should do :) this situation really just is whatever you think is best to do. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer because we all have different situations.
Just remember the advise above, wait 14 days from when it happened and she will go into a "heat" again and if she really didn't get bred it's possible it's a true heat so just make sure those naughty boys can't get to her again after the shot.......well until your ready for her to have kids lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her heats are usually 17 ish days apart. So that is also the question. What if she isnt bred? She wouldn't have come into heat by then. I would think she is, but what would happen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
It’s a minimum of 14 days for that little embryo to attach. If you give lute before 14 days then it doesn’t do anything. That is why 14 is the magic number. If you want to wait and see if she comes into heat first (and I don’t think that is a bad idea) then wait to give her the shot. You can technically give the shot at any point in their pregnancy. I personally probably wouldn’t give it too late in the pregnancy because it’s harder for them, but I would feel comfortable giving it up to like a month along
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top