Lute to a Nubian?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Mar 14, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was just sitting her thinking (I know - OH GOD what is she doing that for) and was curious if anyone has ever given Lute to a Nubian, or other seasonal breed, to make them come into heat for breeding outside of the normal late fall - winter time frame???

Just curious - and yes, I was thinking about it - lol!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Obviously I don't have Nubies...but the breed did originate in the tropics like the Boers and dwarf goats...I don't think it would be a problem to bring her into heat at this point....it's not "Spring" yet as we're still in the Winter equinox.

3. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    This is what I have been told;

Give buck and all intended does to be bred a BoSe (selenium/vit e) shot 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time. Be sure both does and buck are in a pen near enough together they can smell eachother. You may try rubbing a rag on the buck's head (if he is stinky) and rub it on the doe's. You will have a good chance of being able to get them bred this way. I actually brought a doe into heat like that last spring but at the last minute decided not to do that breeding.

It will work on Alpines too, I've been told.

4. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Sorry.. forgot to address the original issue... haha

Lute is supposed to work fine. A lady told me that is what she used to bring some into heat, but usually just penning the {nubian} does next to the buck did the trick.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hmmm - I should try that. Now that the boys are being let out into the pens a little more (when it is nice) they share a fence line - however at other times, they are seperated by a wood slat wall that they can smell and talk through - but maybe I can try the rag first. I would rather do it naturally then with meds.

Thanks for the idea!