The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So four days ago one of my bucks learned to jump the fence. He got in with my does and now I am not sure on who he bred. They are all very confusing right now but I am worried he may have bred a doeling that is to small. He is a lamancha and I am also worried he bred my Nubian doe. They are all registered and I don't want any crosses. I am thinking of using lute on all that I am not sure about(6) What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,285 Posts
I seriously just had this problem! My oberhasli buck jumped the fence and breed my alpine does. I was told to wait at least 11-14 days post breeding before using lute. I waited 14 days, gave them all a shot on Sunday night. It's supposed to have them abort about 36 hours later. And if you want to be sure you can use it again 10 days later.
It was also recommend to use Dex along with the lute, but I didn't have any.
 

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you breed at that 36 hours will they catch? Or is there an egg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,709 Posts
I've been told wait a month after breeding.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,921 Posts
If you are aborting then there won't be an egg. I like to wait 14 days after the breeding happened. There does have to be a corpus luteum for Lutalyse to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,643 Posts
If you check her girly parts and she is red and swollen, may have some discharge, then you can be pretty sure he bred her...if there is no hint of his visit then most likely he didnt...the only sure way is wait 30+ days and send in a blood test.
 

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I had about six does who were swollen with discharge. Now they are not as much. I have been trying my nubian buck and they won't stand for him. Clear as mud right now.
 

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
Joined
·
11,090 Posts
After breeding at first they will be swollen with discharge, then will go back to normal.

I personally would not lute a doe unless there was going to be a bad health threat -- I just hate the thought of it, you know? I do understand your reasoning, but there are a lot of very nice, registered grade kids out there. Riley on here has a couple of gorgeous grade Alpines. Sometimes they are the best of both worlds. :)
 

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I have met Riley's girls and their dam. I understand how you feel. I have the same thoughts. The ones I am most concerned that he bred are two does that are only 50lbs right now. At least they are who he was following around the pen.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,921 Posts
Anyone too young and/or underweight I would Lute. The health and well being of the dam is more important to me. Not worth risking their life.
 

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay gave them lute Saturday. 120 hours ago. I have only noticed one doe come back into heat. Should I worry? Gave 2cc IM
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,921 Posts
No, I wouldn't. I personally have never had a doe go into heat 36 hours after giving Lute. It has always been around the 14 day mark. Gave the typical 2cc IM too.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
I wouldn't worry, either, for the same reason Karen mentioned. Even if they did, I would wait to breed then until the next heat, but that's just me.
 

·
rdmtnfarms
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I was really just worried it didn't work on my too little of girls.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top