Lyric lost her scur

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, May 11, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyric got in a fight with Lyrae through the fence and when she headbutted her through the fence Lyric's horn flew off! And now it won't stop bleeding! I tried putting some baking soda on it and I applied pressure to it but it's still bleeding! :'( Please help!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: EMERGENCY

do you have any flower? throw some of that on it. Or do you have any wonder dust? Cobwebs? all of these are good for stopping bleeding.

Is she calm or upset? try to get her calm if not so that her blood pressure will go down and it won't bleed as much

3. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX

If you have a dog (or even a husband) you may have something call Kwik stop or even a styptic pencil lying around. Put a generouse amount of this on it as well as some sort of compress. You need to get the blood to clot.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

If you can bandage snuggly it with thick gauze padding (maybe a figure eight) then don't lift it up to see what's going on - if the blood leaks through a bit still don't take it off. Everytime you remove it, the clotting is disturbed. You can worry about cleaning it up later when the bleeding is stopped. If you don't have anything else, sanitary napkins make a good emergency pad to use.
    And keep her as quiet and calm as possible.

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Well I finally managed to get the bleeding stopped, I did seperate her for a while, but she never started shivering at all. She just wouldn't let me anywhere near her. :'( That one just about broke my heart. But I just now had to put her back in with everyone because I had her in Lyrae's pen and Lyrae was in the rest of the yard eating. It was bleeding for a while but I used baking soda and I applied pressure. To apply the pressure though I had to put her on her side and keep her down. And now she won't let me touch her at all. :sad But other than that she's acting fine. Here's some pictures of the horn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she will come around, she is sore and not so sure what you are going to do to her next. bring her lots of treats and just slowly start petting her again. Give her a day or so, and she will be back to normal :D

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

That is good news.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Crissa, how is she doing? If you have Arnica Montana, that is get for the pain and it will not thin the blood like asprine does.

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She's doing okay other than hating me. :tears: I do have some ibuprofen though? She won't even let me touch her, and it's breaking my heart. :sigh:

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

If I remember right DO NOT give her Ibuprofen. She will recover just fine. At the show yesterday I asked a friend of mine about my buck's scur (JUST like Lyric's) he held him and just twisted it of, Blue screamed like he was getting attacked but everything is fine now. He doesn't even act as though anything happened.

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

While I was taking care of a goat farm I had 2 billy goats fight 1 with huge horns and 1 with horns close to the head. well the one with the big horns got the other billy good an snapped one off, bled everywhere and lots of it, we put on blood stop 2x that day and then the following day, he was fine after that, course he avoided the other billy for a while.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I have to ask Chelsey do you know why I shouldn't give them Ibuprofen? It's not supposed to thin the blood out.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe this isnt an emergency anymore but still an ongoing issue for you so I split it and now it is its own thread. :D

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Stacey! :)

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think I have heard of goats dying because of it?? To be honest I am just not sure, I wouldn't give it though. Glad she is doing better :greengrin: