Maddie is really sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Apr 9, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Maddie's been off her food for about 5 days now, and sleeping alot. She does this occasionally (she's old - 11 this year).

Well it had gone on a bit longer than normal, so last night I gave her some Nutrimol, Vytrate (electrolytes and glucose) and an antibiotic.

This morning she is really crook. She's got cud all over her nose and mouth, seems like her cud is just constantly coming up. Her breathing is rattly also.

I've given her some oil in case there's bloat or anything like that (although she's not at all big in the sides) and a friend is coming over later with some bicarb soda because I ran out! (of all the days for that to happen!).

The thing that came to mind was poisoning, but she hasnt been out at all to get any poisonous plants etc. and no one has picked any to feed to her.

Any one got any ideas? I'm really really worried about the old girl. If it wasnt a public holiday I'd take her to the vet.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh boy Keren I dotn know....will have to muse on this a bit.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry Keren, that is hard. It might just because she is 11 and had a beautiful life. I had a doe die at age 15 of cancer and that was hard.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is her temp?

enterotoxemia (over eating disease) ...maybe?

Or maybe her rumen is giving her trouble and might have a tummy ache....give her some probiotic paste and baking soda...

Have you tried to inject her with banamine( note :that if she is sub temp banamine should not be given for appetite) and give vit b complex "for appetite" told me 6cc of vit b complex....this was for my adult boer doe...and again 3 days later... if she isn't quit back to normal.... :wink:
  5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    temp is 104.36

if I've done my conversions right, normal is 102-103, yes? So a slight temp.
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it could be just her age, her body isnt functioning as it used to. Could she possibly have an upper respiritory infection? that would be my first thought with the reattled breathing and fever. Her age is going to make it a bit harder to fight off infection. You can try and give her some vitamine c, even chewable tablets help.
    Im keeping my fingers crossed for you and her. I know much you love her.
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've been giving her the poisoning recipe (for poisoned goats, not to poison them!). Just about to go out to give some more to her, waiting for the tea to cool.

Last check, no rumen noises, and the lungs are bubbly :(

Dont think she'll make it till morning.
  8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    still alive this morning, defying all expectations. she's on her feet and moving around, still 'vomiting' a little though not as much, still rattly breathing though not as bad. ate some leaves off the raspberry bush and some spinach leaves. drank some water. pooed some tiny little pebbles.

I'm just about to go out to give her more poisoning stuff; would you believe she drank it straight out of the cup?
  9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Wow she really hangin in :pray:
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is her temp going down at all ?

If not...Do you have ...or can you get any nuflor?... we get it from our vet.....It is a miracle drug to cure pneumonia and very quickly...
    she has a fever ...I think she may also have pneumonia .....Banamine will help with appetite along with vit b complex..... :wink:

If she is getting better with de-poisioning method....that is good..... :wink:
  11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    If she drank it out of the cup herself then she must need it. She sounds like a tough old girl. I hope she continues to improve for you. :hug:
  12. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    what I think too... I hope she makes a full recovery! :grouphug: :hug:
  13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    This is how my day has been so far:

2am & 4am checks on her and the preggo ewes
    6am - she took some green feed from the garden - raspberry leaves etc. Saw her poo a few small pebbles.
    7am - ate some spinach leaves, bit of apple and bread.
    8am - Gave her another shot of antibiotics, only 12 hrs since the last one, I normally do it at 24 hrs, any idea what happens if you give it more often? I figured she was gonna die anyway, it wouldnt be that much of a disaster if I overdosed her. And I cant get pneumonia specific drugs (my vet will just prescribe oxytet). I'm using oxytet, I've treated pneumo with oxytet successfully in the past, and I'm just giving her really heavy doses. Also gave more oil, bicarb soda and tea. She looooved that. Saw her piddle - normal quantity and concentration. No smell or strange colour etc.
    10am - ate a small warm bran mash with molasses. Throwing up seems to have settled down, only once every now and then. Still having trouble breathing.
    12 noon - breathing is no longer laboured, not much vomiting, she's looking bright in the eyes and grinning at me. Will bring her some more feed a little later.

I rugged her overnight, have taken the rug off now since the sun is out. Also wiped some fly repella cream on her cos she was just covered.

Thanks for the :hug: everyone. Yesterday by lunchtime I'd basically given up and figured she wouldnt last till morning. Now I'm slightly more optimistic but I'm not letting myself get my hopes up.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad there is improvement....keep doing what you are doing....I will pray for her.. :pray: :hug: :wink:
  15. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I hope she pulls through. I will be sending prayers to the creator for her.
  16. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Prayers for your Maddie. :pray:
  17. GoatGirl

GoatGirl New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Portland, TN
    In case there IS any bloat. . . give her a zantec (just found that one out thanks to my own scare).
  18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How is she doing karen?
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    much the same. no better and no worse. breathing is still good, still vomiting occasionally but not as much. Awful lot of cuddy-mucousy discharge from the noise. Thing that worries me most is that she's not eating, dont know how long a goat can survive on Vytrate (electrolytes and glucose), cold black tea, oil and bicarb soda.