The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much thought, I am sad to say that Bailey, my Kinder doe, has to go. She is pushy, loud and just an all around P.I.T.B. Since we cannot milk her due to "two holed tiny teats and tons of tude to boot" :D we will be processing her.:(
Sad but it's the best option for my herd and farm.

I will miss her but the small herd will be more peaceful and Daisy won't be bullied anymore.If I had a huge farm, I know I would keep her, but with limited space and each animal needing to "pull it's own weight"...she is the logical choice.

BUT.....I am keeping an "insurance" doeling.I am keeping Heidi's baby that didn't sell yet. :stars:

After all the troubles I have had with getting milk, I am keeping 4 does so i know I will have enough! I can only breed 2 this season though :( as Madeline( my new saanen) will never make the mark this season and neither will my may baby (still needs a name) ...

I would even buy a doe in milk if I could....I saw a couple beautiful does I would love to buy but cash flow is not in agreement :rolleyes:

Ah well, guess I'll have to keep looking for a cheapie or a freebie :p

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After all the years you have been doing this, and alpacas, you must feel like you have none! But I bet it's easier to care for and less to clean up....so there's always a bright side :)

I have been wanting to downsize my birds ( I have chickens,ducks,geese and turkeys)but I have a lot of people relying on me for eggs...so i haven't yet. I am getting down to 2 rabbits though...I had 4 for breeders but I think 2 will be enough. Not to mention right now I have about 40-50 birds growing out for meat.It always makes a lot more work with brooders and separate caging areas.Can't wait to do round 2 of slaughtering....oh, wait....that sounds awful :eek:
I think i just am ready to be done this season.We do all heritage breeds so they take longer than the cornish x and BB's.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Wow, it sounds like you have more than enough to do.

In some ways it is strange and in other ways it is nice. I can finally go away for a day. I do really miss my chickens and plan to get a few next year.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, LOL, I have a few of everything :) I actually have 6 Blue Mallards, 6 Anconas (Black and white and blue and white), 1 khaki/buff cross,6 Muscovies,a pair of Toulouse geese (utility, not show geese), a trio of Narragansett turkeys,a flock of 14 bantam chickens, a flock of 40 (or so) laying hens,plus all the meat birds,3 breeder rabbits (with babies right now) currently 9 goats but am keeping 6 year round,2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels,2 fish tanks(one 55 and one 30)and I home school 2 of my three kids still at home :) One is graduated, and two have 'flown the coop' a few years back....whew....makes me tired just typing it out..........lol

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
It was so nice. I wasn't gone for a full day but left late morning and got back about 5 pm.

My parents are 2 hours away and a couple times I went to visit them. I was gone most of the day then.

It truly is nice to be able to leave once in a while and not have to worry.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I cut down this year as well, but it's so peaceful now, it's amazing what a difference it can make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts