The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am excited to announce our newest addition to the Wings & Caprines herd! It was a long trip but worth it! The weather was *supposed* to be clear, but after about an hour of driving northwest we hit snow (we are in NC). All through Va & WV and into OH was heavy snow and ice. It was a 12 hour drive, one way.
Then, Saturday a warm front was coming in and severe storms were brewing. I wish I'd taken a screenshot, we were only ahead of the storms by 1-2 hours!
So, on Saturday night we arrived home with my new herdsire, we are so excited and look forward to kidding in 2020!

As it worked out, we had a buyer up in MI that wanted a doeling from us. We were able to meet in IN and help save the new owner drive time. They show, LA, and milktest and attend the ADGA national show when possible. I can honestly say letting that little doeling leave was bittersweet. She has been my favorite (personality and she is a really pretty doe!) but I am so happy where she went.

Introducing *B CuAtLilRedBarn Sir Charms!

S: CuAtLilRedBarn Whistle Back
SS: CH Wood Bridge Farm Undeniable
SD: SGCH CuAtLilRedBarn Gwen Quinn 4*M 91 VEEE (2017 ADGA Reserve National Champion)

D: GCH Jasper's Haram JB Coco Puff 2*M
DS: +B AGS Many Tracks All That Jazz
DD: Old Mountain Farm Sea Breeze 1*M

Charms is already a strong, powerful looking buckling and I couldn't be more pleased! He brings in some exciting genetics and we anticipate using him over our Kiegh/Isaac daughters.
I am working on getting some better pictures, he is a typical bottle baby and is already spoiled rotten... just how we like them ;)

Charm's dam, Coco Puff is a doe that I have admired and I enjoyed watching her on the ADGA national show live stream last year. Coco Puffs has appraised VEEE 90 twice, once as a six year old and again as a nine year old. She has placed 1st in her class at the ADGA national show once (2018), 3rd in her class at nationals twice, and 4th in her class at nationals once. Coco Puff was part of the 1st place dairy herd at the 2018 ADGA National show. Coco Puff is also the dam of the 1st place/1st udder 3y/o doe at the 2016 ADGA National show!

Photo's of Coco Puff, Whistle Back, & Gwen Quinn are used with permission from CuAtLilRedBarn.

These are pics from the following morning. Working on getting better pics. I really like him, he levels out nicely and his front legs drop correctly under his withers. Nice width throughout. So far I'm really happy with him and can't wait to get some better pics. He thinks he's a puppy and is underfoot all the time LOL

Charms (1).JPG

Charms.JPG

Dam: GCH Jasper's Haram JB Coco Puff 2*M (Aged doe)
coco puff.jpg

Sire: CuAtLilRedBarn Whistle Back
Whistle back.jpg

SGCH CuAtLilRedBarn Gwen Quinn 4*M 91 VEEE (2017 ADGA Reserve National Champion)
Qwen Quinn.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Half sister to my buck (same dam)
Pic used with permission from Udderly Topnotch Nigerians.

SGCH Cuatlilredbarn Wanda 91 EEEE. 2016 Nationals- 1st place 3yr Old/best udder

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
He is a winner! Impressive looking little cocky buckling!

Reactions: Goat Whisperer

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I am super excited. I only have 3 Nigerian bucks and am really happy with them all. Last year I purchased Kiegh from the same breeder this boy came from. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

With all the breeds our family has, we had over 20 bucks at one point! I'm glad to say I've done a really good job at cutting our numbers. It was just to many. Most were sold, a few went for meat. Sadly we lost our former (Nigerian) herdsire, Lil' Joe to a copperhead bite :(

I'm excited about all these boys.

I got Isaac back in 2016. I used him over all my does and retained all his daughters. I repeated a few breedings with him the following year and retained those does too (He is stingy with doelings LOL).

Kiegh was used heavily last year. Unfortunately I can only keep a few kids this year so I'll have to be extremely selective as to who I will keep.

Pretty happy with where the herd is going :)

Here are my other two boys- figure they need some credit too since this buck is being used over their daughter/granddaughters.

I just snapped a screenshot since I don't have any good updated pics :( Hopefully this spring!
A1676031-C569-4AC1-AE94-F1F6FE1230AE.jpeg

D99C0717-BD1C-4F5C-817D-FE87C4CBCEE7.jpeg

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
:gottago: Near Pittsboro area in North Carolina, found out a few weeks ago we live give or take 25 miles from each other

Reactions: Goat Whisperer

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Charms has really grown up over the last few months. I used him over 6 does, and I believe they've all settled. May use him over a few more in the coming months :) Excited to see his kids in the spring.

I had both Charms & Kiegh collected last week. Feel better having them "on ice". Got this pic while there.
He's just how I like em, even being in rut he's still gentle and loves being around his people :)
755104F4-20B3-466C-A02D-7740ED1DB632.jpeg

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Congratulations..nice looking buckling
Sounds like you have put alot of effort in your research. I dont know anything about Dairy goats. So this question is honestly to understand. Are you breeding for the largest udder? Or a certain look? I have meat goats and only had them for 2 years
So Im trying to understand all the types and ways goats are bred, used, and shown.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You aren't necessarily breeding for a larger udder, but you do want high production and in turn they need the udder capacity to hold that milk. You are also breeding for good attachments, teat placement, udder height, udder depth, extended/smooth fore udder, and udder texture.

For a Senior (milking) doe, on the ADGA scorecard mammary system is 35 points, General appearance is 35 points, dairy strength is 20 points, and body capacity is 10 points.
The idea behind this scorecard is to have a correct doe who has longevity.
You can have a heavy milker, but if her udder is not well attached, then she will not last. Likewise, a doe could have a wonderful udder, but if she does not have the body to support herself, she will not last. Every little detail plays a role. :)

Here's the scorecard, if you are interested in seeing what we are aiming for http://adga.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/JT2-3.pdf

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Thankyou. That helps me understand. I appreciate your time. Since I dont have dairy..I havent spent time learning about it. I am amazed at the differences in shape ,size, and requirements for each catagory. I like to learn from the people who do this..rather than books. Thankyou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts