Made my final decision

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TheMixedBag, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. TheMixedBag

    TheMixedBag The Hoofcare and Repro specialist

    Oct 16, 2010
    Glencoe, OK
    I got my last test results in yesterday, and Maverick's clean (which was expected-he was raised on CAE prevention), but Milky Way's confirmed positive, with the same number as last time.

    While it doesn't bother me at all, I don't want to take the time and expenses that I don't have to get separate fencing for her to keep her away from the other 3, so I have her up for sale, either now or after she kids. She'd make a nice milker for someone who isn't trying to get a good rep with show goats.
     
  2. Coyote Night Acres

    Coyote Night Acres New Member

    498
    Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    :sigh: I'm so sorry your resutls came back positive. It kinda makes me a little scared to get mine tested.
     

  3. TheMixedBag

    TheMixedBag The Hoofcare and Repro specialist

    Oct 16, 2010
    Glencoe, OK
    Eh. It sucks, but it's not gonna hurt her. If it weren't for the fact that a CAE-positive goat pretty much gets you shunned everywhere, I'd be keeping her.

    Of course, next up is CL tests, and I'm kinda sure Jenny'll test positive for that. Her breeder has always had issues with it, from just one goat they bought a while back with it...then again, I could be wrong. They only have 2 goats who ever get abscesses, and neither of them ever had much to do with Jenny.
     
  4. ()relics

    ()relics New Member

    258
    Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    You know she would only have to be seperated if she had an abcess. She could stay with your other goats until you saw one start to build, then you could seperate her and she may never develop one at all. Any kids she had you would need to bottle feed to prevent her passing it to them through her milk...but maybe you could make this work...Just putting it out there...there are lots of goat herds that have 1 or 2 positive animals and they manage...I hate to see someone over-react but I can also see the reasoning to eliminate the potential of the disease, as well. tough choice
     
  5. TheMixedBag

    TheMixedBag The Hoofcare and Repro specialist

    Oct 16, 2010
    Glencoe, OK
    I don't think I'd ever have to. I have yet to find an abscess on her, and aside from where her collar kept digging into her neck before we switched it (ever try to cut really thick chain on a head-shy goat?), I've never even seen an injury on her. If I'm not wrong, she was also raised on the CL vaccine, which is kinda hit and miss to my experience, but seems to have done the trick on her.

    The biggest issue is this-I live on 3/4 of an acre. My budget is super-limited, so if I had 1-2 goats who were positive for any "shunning" diseases, there's half my herd and any chance of me selling goats for a good price. If I had the room, cash and ability to do fine without kid sales, I'd keep Milky Way, buy Xtacy, and ignore the fact that they tested positive and be happy with it.
     
  6. lissablack

    lissablack New Member

    Nov 30, 2009
    If Jenny had the Case-Bac vaccine for CL she will definitely test positive with the blood test, it tests for antibodies. If that is what you mean by "raised on the CL vaccine". So there is no point in paying to have her tested. The vaccine works more often than not (I might be wrong about that, I thought I read 70% of the time?), she may be fine, but you can't tell with the blood test.

    Jan
     
  7. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If you do blood test Jenny mention that in your testing requests because some testing facilities can tell the difference in the numbers. This is what I've been told - no experience with the vaccine and testing myself
     
  8. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. TheMixedBag

    TheMixedBag The Hoofcare and Repro specialist

    Oct 16, 2010
    Glencoe, OK
    Got a buyer for her last night. They'll pick her up about a week after she kids, and I'm still deciding if I want a doe kid from her or not. I'm getting about $150 for her with the kids at her side, which is a huge amount less than what I paid for her, but who's gonna pay almost $300 for a milk goat?