The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first batch of soap is cured, and it turned out great! Orange Anise goat milk soap has made my pantry smell wonderful while it's curing. I was anxious to try it, and make sure I got it right, and it lathers really well and all the stuff you want it to do. Yay! Now to wrap it and give some to teachers for Christmas, and to family.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Thats wonderful!! Good for you....Orange and Anise ha? sounds yummy!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first bar I wrapped! I tried to print out that labeling, but still ended up trying over what came out of my printer, as it is starting to get low on ink. Yes, it smells like holidays and relaxation to me. I cannot use cinnamon or mint family oils in it if I wanted to give any to my parents, as mom is allergic to lavender and rosemary oil for sure (you should have seen her when they were temporarily living with us, my youngest was taking a bath, and he poured half a bottle of rosemary oil in his bath). Dad is definitely allergic to cinnamon oils, or at least those super strong ones they use at the holidays.

I'm thinking the next batch should be cocoa/coffee and vanilla/almond and oatmeal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The biggie, lye, I get at a hardware store. I get my coconut oil and olive oil at SAMs Club (they sell a huge tub of coconut oil for $15 there).

The recipe I used came out of The Natural Soap Book by Susan Cavitch.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And that recipe's batch is so big I only made one batch. I need to cut it down, so I can make more varieties with less cost per scent batch.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the simple packaging. I second the scratch and sniff computer screen, but i'll just have to imagine how wonderful it smells. mmmmmmm

I so want to try it myself....but trying to figure out all the supplies and where to get them all and having the money to get them :confused:
i'm on a soaping forum, and people have said they go to 2nd hand stores to get a lot of their equipment (mixing bowls, measuring cups, stick blender). a lot of other things you can use what you have in the kitchen (I've used old large yogurt containers to mix my lye solution, tofu containers for setting up my clays/colourants, but you can also use those plastic ice cream tubs, old Tupperware containers that don't have lids to them anymore, etc).

when using plastic, MAKE SURE it's plastic HDPE #2 or PP #5.

lye can be found at the hardware store in the plumbing section. you may have to ask for it as many stores don't put it on the shelf anymore. make sure it's 100% sodium hydroxide/caustic soda

just shop around stores to find the cheapest oils. also look for parchment or freezer paper to line the mold.

as for molds, my first mold was a tissue box. I've also used cereal box, old cardboard boxes (the one my stick blender came in was useful), a piece of 3" PVC pipe my bf had no use for. I recently purchased a bamboo organizer for $6, and I use that as my mold now.

see, there are ways around getting stuff cheap for soap making!

oh, one last thing to add to my already super long post..... DO NOT cheap out on a scale. getting an accurate digital scale is really important, and that way you won't worry about making any lye heavy soaps.

alright...done rambling for now....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
Oh it looks so nice!! Is it a secret recipe or can you share it? I just made my first 3 batches in the past month. It's addicting!
you can find some easy soap recipes online. it can all depend on what kind of oils are cheap and easy to find in your area (e.g. I can't find lard or palm oil to save my life....so I don't use them in my soap recipes)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the simple packaging. I second the scratch and sniff computer screen, but i'll just have to imagine how wonderful it smells. mmmmmmm

i'm on a soaping forum, and people have said they go to 2nd hand stores to get a lot of their equipment (mixing bowls, measuring cups, stick blender). a lot of other things you can use what you have in the kitchen (I've used old large yogurt containers to mix my lye solution, tofu containers for setting up my clays/colourants, but you can also use those plastic ice cream tubs, old Tupperware containers that don't have lids to them anymore, etc).

when using plastic, MAKE SURE it's plastic HDPE #2 or PP #5.

lye can be found at the hardware store in the plumbing section. you may have to ask for it as many stores don't put it on the shelf anymore. make sure it's 100% sodium hydroxide/caustic soda

just shop around stores to find the cheapest oils. also look for parchment or freezer paper to line the mold.

as for molds, my first mold was a tissue box. I've also used cereal box, old cardboard boxes (the one my stick blender came in was useful), a piece of 3" PVC pipe my bf had no use for. I recently purchased a bamboo organizer for $6, and I use that as my mold now.

see, there are ways around getting stuff cheap for soap making!

oh, one last thing to add to my already super long post..... DO NOT cheap out on a scale. getting an accurate digital scale is really important, and that way you won't worry about making any lye heavy soaps.

alright...done rambling for now....
How do you know what type of plastic it is? Does it usually say it on it somewhere?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts