:( Magellan feeling bad! Ideas???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    This morning when I went out to feed, Magellan was drooling and vomiting some! He looks a little thin, too. He's only 3 months old. No fever. I'm hoping he hasn't found something poisonous to munch on! I haven't seen anything. I DID find an old plastic milk jug that used to have fly repellent in it (from last year--it was hanging about 9 foot up in a tree). The jug was crumbled up some, but I can't tell if pieces are missing or anything. It was on the outside of their fence, too, so I'm wondering how he got it if he did get it. He is walking around, and he is munching a little on hay and drinking some. Any ideas what this could be???

Angie

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Has he gotten both vaccs of Cd&T?

Does he have a temp?

How sudden was his weight drop- that almost sounds like dehydration- or an empty rumen

Normal stool? Chewing cud?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Vomiting and drool indicates poisoning. I'd get some activated charcoal down him ASAP. Do check his mouth first to see if there is anything stuck to make him drool, but if there is nothing then give him the charcoal. Get a temp on him too.

4. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    No temp, but he is what I would call semi-lethargic now. It is terribly hot though. Almost 100 today, and it probably is 100 with the heat index. He is laying next to the water buckets right now, and I have seen him drinking several times. He has got up and walked around some, but he still seems off. He's not drooling now or vomiting. That only lasted for about 30 minutes this morning. Right now he just seems tired and like he feels bad. Still grinding the teeth though, and I don't have any banamine! I tried to check his mouth, but he wiggles so much, and I am here by myself so I don't have anyone to help hold him. I'm going to try to check the mouth again and then try some Nutridrench? And then observe him a bit.

Any other suggestions?

He had one CD&T when I disbudded (or TRIED to disbud. It didn't take!). I haven't given him another.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would make sure he has fresh cool water to drink. I would have to agree that it ate something even chewed on that bucket, and he has some poisoning in him. He needs the active charcoal. I bet his tummy hurts.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I would just keep a close eye on him and make sure he's pooing/peeing and drinking and doesn't start vomiting again or having other abnormal behavior. He probably ate something bad and still feels yucky from it.

My wether got into our compost pile once and ate who knows what kind of rotten food. He had symptoms similar to what you're describing...and clumpy poop too. After the initial symptoms, it took about 3 days for him to regain his full appetite and to get back to normal...

Probably the main concern is making sure he stays hydrated--which you said he was drinking so it should not be an issue, but you could always offer him some gatorade. It might help him out a bit...especially with it being so hot.

7. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Ok. I went outside and spent about 20 minutes with him. He is no longer vomiting, drooling, or grinding his teeth. That's good! His nose looks a little yucky, like it's been running a little or something--little bit of a discharge. I gave him some Nutridrench and he swallowed it. I don't see any obstructions of any kind in the airway. He followed me around in the pen a little--not a lot, but he's is still a little shy sometimes (He has been since I disbudded him! I think he remembers everything... lol). He has no temp, and he went poo while I was out there. It was the same pellets as always--no change there. I didn't see him urinate, but he is chewing cud.

I gave everyone extra hay in their hayfeeders and gave him some to the side and he was nibbling on it. I wanted to double-check the hay for mold, and it's fine from what I can tell. No dust or anything either. The grains seems ok too!!! So, I don't know!!!!

He seems a little 'down' compared to normal, but other than that, I think anyone who didn't know him like me would think he was fine. I'm wondering if one of the other bucks has got rough with him this morning while he was eating his grain and made him choke or something! I'd really like to know what caused it!

8. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've goats choke on alfalfa pellets before. They coughed and produced a lot of foamy saliva. They shake their head (trying to dislodge pellet, I suppose) and sling slobber all over. I was able to get one baby to relax and gently massaged his throat, til it passed. I had an older doe do it on grain too -- big fat piggies! :hair: It passed very soon by itself with no lasting effect son her. ps I don't feed pellets anymore!

9. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    one more thing -- a lot of saliva came out their noses as well as their mouths when they choked

10. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Oh my goodness! I bet he did get choked then. He WAS slinging his head! I forgot about that until you just mentioned it. And the saliva was frothy looking. Poor thing. And yup, greedy little piggers. He was trying to gobble up as much grain as possible. I do give the boys a little grain, and just a little, so they fuss over it. I need a separate pen so I can let him eat some on his own without interruption. Then maybe he won't feel so forced to gobble his food.

Thanks! I about bet that's what happened!

11. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Ember, our Ober doe, choked like that on crimped oats. She ate so fast and just seemed to fill up her throat with the grain. She shook her head and spewed out all kinds of foamy, oaty yuck. :sick: Now we feed her mixed grains and feeds with different textures so she'll eat more slowly. Otherwise, she gets carried away. That was one scary messy event.

Anna

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is he doing? Did I miss the update? I hope he is fine now.

13. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Yeah, he's doing fine now, but he's a bit thinner than I want him to be. I think since that episode that he's not eating as much as before. I put him in with mom and he's trying to nurse her and seems happier (she's almost dry though). I'm thinking I probably removed him from mom too fast. He'd started riding a couple of my younger girls and I didn't want accidents. But I think it was probably a bit too early, and he was probably gulping food. He's learned now he can't do that... but now he eats like molasses!

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great to hear he is better. :leap: