The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe kidded Sunday. Since its poured down rain every day since and she hides it I don't see much of it.
Early this afternoon my son found it up under some brush with 50+ of those shiny green flies all over it.
I pulled it out and from his mid back all the way to his tail he was covered in maggots
1000s of maggots
There was some yellow gunk all in his fur. Between hus hooves where the skin meets they had eaten holes and were embedded in there as well as where his umbilical cord was
I've never seen anything like it

I immediately put him in the tub and washed him off. I had to get the garden hose with the spray attachment and use the jet on him because they were so embedded in there. I then took a needle and dug out the ones in the holes between his toes and flushed them real well.

He's fine and strong so I don't understand why this happened.
Any ideas?
How can I prevent this in the future?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
wow, poor baby.....My thought is because of the damp weather, most likely heat as well..a huge fly population and him not being active due to all the above made him a prime target..Im so glad you were able to clean him up...I would keep him sprayed with ACV/water 50/50 or tea tree oil ..to keep the flies off him..I would check on him several times day as well..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with Cathy, and I would be willing to bet the yellow gunk was dried placental membranes. Given the weather, they would be an engraved invitation to the flies. I hope he has no lasting effects of his nasty encounter with them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The yellow stuff was like a thick powder. I saw the baby Monday or Tuesday and it was completely clean of the placenta residue.
I don't know, it all just freaked me out a bit

I have brought him inside till I can get to the store.
I left for a few hours and came home to flies all over him again..
Not having it

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
could the yellow dust stuff be from the bush he was under?? flower dust?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, there is nothing like that around here.
I think it's something the flies created.

I just checked him over again and there is a new spot in his leg that looks raw and porous.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
poor baby...Might need to keep him in a while..very strange

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
you might need to find a spray to keep them off him as well...best wishes

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Oh no! Poor little guy! That's called flystrike and it's nasty, nasty. It's good you caught it when you did. Fly eggs are yellow and look like tiny rice grains all stuck together. Get off every bit you can see, and keep a sharp eye for any new maggots (they hatch quickly!) Don't let him out anywhere flies can get to him until he is all better. Can you milk the mama and bottlefeed him?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for a name!
I have been taking him out to nurse and staying with him the whole time. I guess ill start milking her and see if he won't take a bottle

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does anyone have photos of what flystrike wounds look like? One of my dogs came in today covered in small, round, flat open sores and acting sick.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There were 3 kinds of wounds on the kid

Skin (fur really) was completely gone, burrowed holes, and pot marks
Maggots were in/on all of these.

I didn't take any pictures because I was too stunned to think to.
Google has some images

But if anyone wants an update on the baby
He's doing great! I put him back out with mom on Saturday asking with some fly spray. I think because he was so young he couldn't ward them of correctly, but by the time I other him out there he was prancing, jumping, and running and also able to itch himself really well.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Wonderful news : ) So glad he is back with mom :D

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Oh, that's great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts