The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold an open dairy doe. I purchased her as a yearling and due to family illness last Dec. I never tried to breed her. So, she was just an 2 yr. old unproductive eating machine! I decided to sell her, as I just don't have the right buck for her.

A man purchased her and he texted me yesterday, inquiring whether I had ever magnet bolused her. We have cattle, they all get a magnet to prevent hardware disease. I have not heard of anyone giving a goat a magnet.

I am concerned that this could harm her- any one know if this is an accepted practice? Thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,830 Posts
I would not do that for a goat. I haven't found a problem with them eating metal. Goats are different than cattle and maybe he needs to be gently reminded of that.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That is what I thought! Hopefully, his vet will not bolus the goat.
I sent him a text.
 

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
I had to give one of my goats a magnet bolus after she ate a 1 1/2 drywall screw. I was putting up mineral feeds and she snuck in behind me and before I could stop her she had the screw in her mouth. I grabbed her and she swallowed it in that "HA i ate it and you cant have it" manner. So she got a magnet.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Begonia has a magnet in her from her bout of hardware as well.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top