Maiden Mare

Discussion in 'Horses' started by wwfarm, Apr 12, 2017.

1. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    My beautiful Azteca mare Felina is at day 351 with her first foal. We though she might deliver last night with the horrendous storm that came through and a full moon, but alas, she did not.

Her belly dropped yesterday and this morning she is waxing and her flanks are sunken in. We tested her milk yesterday is her calcium is high but show is the pH.

This is nothing like kidding season, which by the way, I am in the middle of!

I'd love to hear from others about their maiden mare birthing experiences.

Attached Files:

• fel.jpg
      fel.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
    BorderKelpie likes this.
  2. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I guess I don't have anything that might help, but I can share my little experience. With my mare I had had, Echo, she wasn't a maiden so we were a bit more lax.

We weren't quite sure when she was going to foal, we had thought another week or two, so she was kept out in the pasture with the other horses. Looking back now, I probably wasn't the best for her pregnancy. I remember going on a ride with her and just thought she was acting strange and thought she was going to foal that night. I really had no clue about pregnant mare behavior, plus she was my own first horse too. So going off of others advice, she went back out into the pasture that night because everyone thought that she wasn't going to foal for at least two weeks.

Wrong, lol.

The next morning I got up and was getting a ride to town for drivers ed, looked out at the horses as we were driving past and sure enough. There was a beautiful paint foal out with the horses. Ugh I remember how frustratingly tough it was, because I had to go to those classes, so was there all day daydreaming about the colt lol.

So that's how baby Bailey came about haha. White and brown paint with one liquid brown eye and one glass blue eye (echo was a solid black/brown, so a big surprise...took after the stud.)

She was so much fun, I had the summer off so I was outside with them every day. I did everything with her, halter training, getting her to lift her feet, rubbing plastic bags all over her, touching the bottom of her hooves. She ended up being a very person friendly girl.

Took her and Echo on little rides constantly, which would be hilarious when she got older and would take off running and bucking. Though it did get a bit intimidating when she would rear up or buck at Echo when I was riding.

When she was about three, I started to sit on her. Was kind of a funny story how it happened. I would take Echo and our other horse swimming (or rather floating). I took them in the water till they were about mid chest deep and they would just stand there, almost falling asleep at times lol. Must have felt good for them, no flies, hot out. So I would be giving them a bath or swimming around them, laying on them, w/e.

Well one time Bailey came out there with us all by her self and just started swimming around, after stopping and getting out several times. She just kept coming back in to swim, wasn't excited or anything but just seemed to enjoy it. Well when she swam by I just got on her and she just kept walking, up on to the shore and just kept walking. Didn't care that I was up there at all lol. I just remember the other two horses staring from the water as she walked off with me. After that I was always able to just jump up on her and sit there bareback. Which is how I always ride and still ride horse. Strange I know, mostly because most rides end up going for a walk up the river. (its just a shallow creek, never really gets deeper than 3-4')

Shortly after that I moved and by time I moved back she was too old really to train....so she ended up being an embryo brood mare someplace, don't remember where. Always regret not getting her properly trained ( I had no clue idea how to do it), just because how people friendly she was.

Every since then I've never had another mare again, they just seem to hate me for some reason now. We just don't get along. So now I have my gelding Ranger If I ever would get one again, it would be just to have a colt again because it was an absolute blast.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    Thanks! What a great story. My mare is also a handful and very moody. It is partly my fault because I spoiled her rotten. I've had her since she was seven months. I am hoping for a colt. Her traIner says it will be a colt because of the way she is holding it and my vet also says a colt because she is past 350 days. I am just hoping everything goes smooth with no complications. I wish I just knew when!!!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    She's here! Felina's beautiful chestnut filly came into the work at 25 minutes past midnight. She will definietely gray out and it will be fun to watch her color change over the coming years.

Felina is a great, attentive mom.

Attached Files:

6. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Wow that's a big surprise! Congrats on the filly! what color was the stud?

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    She is cute, congrats!! :)

8. ksalvagno

9. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    JK farms--the stud is also a very light gray like Felina, only with light mane and tail. i know this little one will also gray out--I just didn't expect a chestnut at birth. Life is full of sweet surprises and I am just so thankful she and her mom are doing good. Now all my Boers are dropping! Isn't Spring the busiest time on the farm??!!

10. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I think she's might just shed out to bay first.

11. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    I just thought I would show an updated photo of my Aviva. She is now a beautiful red roan. Unfortunately I do not think she will stay this color for long because she is lightening so quickly. She brings me such joy. aviva arena.jpg

Karen Kuntz and Goat_Scout like this.
  12. ksalvagno

Pretty horse!

wwfarm likes this.
  13. Karen Kuntz

Karen Kuntz Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    She's beautiful! It's great that you are working with her!

wwfarm likes this.
  14. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    I imprinted her when she was born and it has made working with her so easy. I have some great trainers training me also so that helps a lot

Karen Kuntz likes this.