Maintaining barn area in the winter/wet weather

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 31, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was just curious how everyone maintain's their barn area in the winter or wet weather?

We have had snow on the ground for most of Decemeber, and it finally all melted yesterday. But now everything is muddy and nasty. YUCK. The area around the barn where the goats stay the most was really poopy, so I raked it all up, and of course it's mud now, so I put some bedding from one of the stalls to cover it lightly.
    It stinks a little too <probably a lot for those who aren't used to animals!>, but not sure what I could do about that? Inside is fine, but outside, bleh... I am so not a fan of mud. We do have big rocks hubby laid around the side of the barn and in front/back, which they LOVE to walk on when it's muddy out.

So what do you do? Tips? Tricks that work?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....it gets nasty when things thaw out......I just throw down bedding/straw like you did. My guys are sooooo bad, they just hardly will go outside when it is like that........they don't do dirty wet hooves! Hubby says my guys are fair-weathered goats.... 72 degrees, sunshine and NO wind......lol! I have created monsters!

I'm thinking someone on here puts down wood planks for theirs to walk on to get past the mud.

3. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    We are putting down cement 12x12 size pavers where it gets the most muddy. The other areas get topped off with used bedding.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have the rocks next to the barn that they walk on when it's muddy. It's not horrible 'sink and swim' kind of mud, just sticks to your shoes and well...it's just yucky.
    When it gets like that, the goats will walk along the side of the barn on the rocks.
    They won't come out when it's raining or snowing, but they love being outside, and go out as much as they can.

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I have wood chips in the 'dirty area' we hauled a half yard in... but it really needs more. But it does work well to keep things not too muddy - and we've had a ton of rain here in W. Washington ... only problem is that I have to pay for it.

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We put some cement rectangle things out about 4 feet along the whole side of the barn that the goats are on so they have somewhere dry & clean to lay when the sun is shining. We also have lots of platforms & stairs outside that the goats can lay/play on to stay out of the mud.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We put down cinder blocks. The other day a neighbor had 2 huge fir trees cut down & put in chipper. I asked him about it, good fellow that he is told me we could take all we want!
    If you see treework being done they will be happy to dump the chippings on your property if you ask, that is if the property owner doesnt want it.
    Off to load a couple more wheelbarrows, see ya!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My dearly departed fellow goat lady,Candy, brought me some of those cement pavers with her last visit to me...my girls love playing "don't step on the crack" and I also use dirty bedding as a way to cover the muck.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    in the fall I put lime down -outside- before it freezes, in the winter on nice days I feed a bale on the ground for the does outdoors, and rake the remains the next day into a pile. that pile goes to the manure area later.
    indoors i strip it weekly depending on how dirty, thats year round.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great ideas! Right now I am stuck just using old bedding, but eventually when we get the barn project done, I want to work on getting the area around the front of the barn and the backside fixed so it's not always muddy when the ground is wet. Grass will never grow in this area again, so might as well fix it up.