Major Goat Illnesses/Health Problems and What to Look For

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by firelight27, May 2, 2009.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Ok, just one more question for this week, I swear! Lol.

I have been browsing allot of goat sites, but they seem to either list way more diseases/problems than seem to be really probable (that they are very common), or get way too technical/confusing about it.

For instance, with horses colic is the most common, and things like tetanus, allergies, heaves, influenza, strangles in young horses, etc. can be common. But then stuff like rhino or sleeping sickness aren't, yet they are talked about frequently on info sites. (I know I reference horses allot, but they are what I know.)

So far, am I right with this list? :

Bloat
    CAE
    Worm problems

What else should I worry about watching out for? And how is the best way to treat bloat? I red patting/massaging the rumen, giving a tablespoon of baking soda....

I just need to know the stuff most likely to happen, the signs and treatments. What do YOU guys use that works. I want it in lamens terms to, not the scientific name of the disease, etc. I don't want to over worry about rare goat diseases. If something else seems to be wrong with my goat beyond common illness, the vet will be called. Lol

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very common stuff:
    Coccidia ...treat with corid...can buy at the vets

Bloat ...unsure ...others may be able to answer that for you..I haven't had the problem...but one thing I do know is baking soda...

Pneumonia ... nuflor purchase at vet

milk fever ....treat with calcium ...something ....I can't remember the name off hand..

tummy ache ...Probiotic paste...baking soda....

not eating.....vit b complex ....sometimes Banimine ....

worms ...Ivomac Inj down throat ...1cc per 20 lbs Orally.............Valbezen(for tapes ....do not give to preggo goats)

Lice .....Permectrin II. ..2.5cc to 1 quart water, put into a spray bottle, spray along their spine......Ivomac Plus... injected (US)( do not give to preggo goats)
    there are 2 Lice types ...biting and sucking....

mastitis....treat with cattle treatment pastes tubes...massages...heat packs...strip out daily..2x a day or more...depending on the circumstances....

congested udder...

overeating disease ...(Cd&T will help prevent it)...but once they get it ..use CD antitoxin ..I believe .....but don't quote me....hopefully someone can verify :wink:

I hope I covered the basic ailments......if anyone disagrees ...with any treatments or would like to add some.. ...please tell us what you use and how much given.....thanks everyone.... :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Listed in what I consider highest risk order

worms
    cocci
    bloat
    poisoning

Worms: treat with any horse paste wormer except quest. You need to triple the goats weight for a more accurate dosing. Or use a injectable 1cc per 20lbs given orally

Cocci - Corid it is an over the counter med that you can get from either your farm store or www.jefferslivestock.com as to the dosage - will need to find it I dont have it handy. But you treat for 5days according to weight. I like to drench rather then treat in their water

Bloat: for regular bloat you can treat with baking soda. If it is froathy bloat, they need to see a vet ASAP. Boat is characterized by a very round a hard stomach. The goat may or may not grind its teeth and sometimes have a hard time pooing or not pooing at all. Best to get some baking soda mixed with some water (so they cant spit it out easily) and make it into a ball. Then put it intheir mouth and hold it shut. If it is a kid you can hold it like a colicky baby and bounce as you massage its tummy.

Poisoning: there are many poisonous plants out there in the yards of people owning goats. Yew, Azeala, Rodadenron (spelling is off on that) and cherry just ot name a few. If your goat eats any of these or you notice them vomiting treat with activated charcoal ASAP. You can use the charcoal found in the fish section for filters and grind it up into a powder OR you can purchase a Gel form from www.jefferslivestock.com It is a large tube but you can just use a stick or something to push the gel out a little at a time so the gun isnt needed. A cheep insurance just in case.

Now if you breed there is a whole new set of things that become important. But what usualy happends to me is they are deficent in either copper or selenium so supplementing is important (but not to much because you dont want to OD them on either).

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pam covered alot there...

cd/t booster yearly to prevent tetnus and overeating.

coccidiosis- "cocci" - corid OTC
    bloat- it can be fatal, baking soda balls, massage, walking...
    i'd get probios- to help with stomach problems
    offer free choice loose mineral, and baking soda.
    trim hooves regulary to prevent rot.

i'm all out of problems.....but no problem, keep asking questions!

5. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Excellent, I didn't even know about the cocci. I'm researching that now. About deworming...

I just bought a power dose of safeguard (fendendazole) for my yearling (horse) as he is really susceptible to worms and we are having a hard time keeping him worm free (considering I have a feeling he was pretty heavily infected when we got him as a weanling.) Anyways, he will not need all of the tubes as its a power dose for an 1,100 lb horse (he is probably 600-700 pds.) SO, I was wanting to give Spirit some of the extra for her wormer.

I have NO idea what worming/vaccines have been like for her. After some research, tell me if this is correct:

She weighs 63 pounds. I was going to give her 4x the horse dose for three days according to her weight (to make sure she is also treated for tapes, hence the 3 days instead of one). Is this correct? I have heard that fendendazole is next to useless in allot of goats all over the easetern half of the US. I thought I'd give it a go with her though. It says it is safe for preggo does. Is that true? I got all this info from Fias Co. here : http://fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm

Scroll down to "wormers used on goats" and click fendendazole and it tells the dosage when using horse paste wormer. Just double checking with you guys.

How often should I give her wormer? I give my horses wormer every 6 weeks (weanlings/yearlings every 4 weeks) and I rotate between 4 different drugs. I've read to give goats less because they build up resistance easier. Would once every six months be enough?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds right for the safeguard

as to when to worm her - I would check her eyelids monthly and if they look pale then you can worm her -if not then I wouldnt worm her.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    When I got my first goats, I went out to feed and one was "dead", well, not dead yet, but very close. I grabbed her and ran to the truck and threw her in the passenger side and off we went, thank God the vet is close. Anyway, it was Polio...something...the vet gave her thiamine, and a bunch of other stuff. She said take her home and give her shots of thiamine a couple times a day...I'd know in a couple of days if she was going to live.(!) It was almost 2 days before she stood up. She was still a little blind for another day or so. But, then she was fine. Boy, was I freaked out!

Then I had a doeling break her horn off when she got her head stuck in the fence. And we had a c-section.

Good luck! That's why this site is so valuable...everyone helps each other. Even when "you've seen it all" you still panic when "it" happens...then these folks talk us through it. :hi5:

8. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My very first market lamb contracted polio. I was a newbie at sheep, and the breeder told me to give her no more than a fist full of hay a day, and give her pure grain for the rest of her food. No pasture grass either. My FFA advisor wouldn't help me because he was a young, new teacher and was an idiot. So, I did what the breeder said and came out to find my sheep down and thrashing wildly with her left legs. Her right side was paralyzed and she was blind. We put her on an IV of LA200 and she pulled through, but was blind for a week. I later got fungus from the lamb, which was transferable to people, and the vet said it had to have come from the breeder's and that it was obviously an awful breeder.

The way I understand it, polio occurs because of lack of forage, or other things that cause the balance of chemicals in the gut gets off and causes major problems in the sheep/goat. I've lived through that one and know the signs. Lol. :)

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah goat polio is a thiamine deficieny. i read that thiamine inj or vit B(?) work on that.

sorry to hear about your sheep.