Major hair loss?!?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Apr 11, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, so I went to brush my buck Zorro today since he really needed it. He hates it so I put him up on the milking stand. When I finally did brush him his hair just kinda fell out! I stopped brushing him after that! He had a really bad winter coat and half the time I would need to put a sweat shirt on him to keep him warm this winter. He really doesn't have much hair but he has tons of the wool stuff. Not sure what its called. So when I brushed him it just kind peeled off and left mostly skin with a few hairs sticking out! I sprayed some tea tree oil spray on the parts where he had just skin showing.

So I don't really know whats wrong with him. No one else is shedding out like him. He has free choice purina goat mineral and baking soda. He also gets kelp. He always has hay available. My other buck that is out with him is incredibly fuzzy so I don't think it's mineral deficiency or what I am feeding.

Also I got Zorro Jan 1st of this year so he already had his wimpy winter coat and it didn't look great then either.

I gave him some b-complex and nutri drench. His temp was 101. Nothing seems wrong with him besides his hair falling out. He was wormed with ivomec orally April 5th.

I can't afford to do any blood tests right now since I spent my goat emergency money on Xcell when she was sick.

Any ideas? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had this happen last year with Flicka one of my rescues. She went almost bald but when her hair grew back in it was so beautiful.

All I did for her was give her 4 ccs of aloe drink once a day - I got the berry flavored stuff so she drank it willingly

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank goodness my goats are not the only ones doing this!!! I have 2 that are falling out in chunks also! I thought that there was something wrong, but Stacey - your right - the hair that has grown in is SOOOO pretty!

I did not give my girls anything. I actually thought it was because they had a heat light and it was to warm so I took the heat lights away - LOL! I am such a weirdo!!!

The weather has been so strange here that my poor goaties don't know whether to blow coat or to make more! LOL

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am afraid to brush him anymore or I think he will look like a hairless cat! lol

Glad to hear others are shedding bad too. Wasn't sure if it was normal since no one else here is shedding like him.

5. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    how many days did you give the aloe juice to your goat?

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We have a horse that blows all his hair dureing the summer time. Down to just a few springs of hair here and there. It grows back in a few weeks later and you would have never known he had lost all his hair.
    Don't know why he does it but he has done it for the past 2 years.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I used it till I saw a noticiable change - a couple weeks??

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just an update on him. All his hair grew back and he looks awesome now. :thumb:

9. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Do you give it in a syringe or just did she just drink it out of a dish?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I syringed for the first 4 days and then added it to their water.

I gave 3-6ccs per day and then a "glug" in their gallon buckets each