Major problem?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ozarksvalley, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    As you all know my Nubian herd is sold. I haven't requested a deposit or anything, but I do know she is coming for them as soon as her toggs all finish kidding and she finds someone to goatsit. Here is the problem:

A month and 1/2 ago Shemu'el (nubian buck) was taken outside and let roam for a couple of hours under my supervision. He ate alot of greens, dead forage, and was allowed to drink from the strong-running creek and spring. He got very bad green runs the day after, and I figured it to be from something he ate, too much greens to start with, or something in the water. I gave him some herbs and it cleared up asap. But he did get messy meanwhile. I trimmed him up today and got his 5" hair off to more like 2-3" long now. I trimmed mostly on his back leg 'bloomers.' Wow, what angulation... maybe it's a mistake to sell him. BUT now I see dry crusty skin.... some hairless. some on his lower back legs and his testicles, and a tiny bit on the edge of his tail. What is this?
    I was thinking maybe where he had direahha (sp?) and it did that do his skin? His testicles are pretty bad... he does have hair on them but it's still really dry and scaly but no bleeding anywhere. Those are the only spots on his entire body that have it.

I am positive it's not lice. He has the silkiest hair in my herd. He's a good even weight with bright pink gums and bright eyes.

I put some essential oils on it... but I'd like to know if I need to something different. Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well for dry skin I give aloe vera juice. works wonders for their skin

3. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you. :) I'll probably try that.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I bought mine at Walmart - near the pharmacy with all the health drinks. They like the berry flavor.

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    You could probably put some bag balm on it too. I use it on my dogs and even on myself and it really helps with dry cracked skin.