make it clear to me about Ivomec

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by moday, Feb 28, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    If I'm understand this stuff about Ivomec, you use the injection Ivomec for Cattle but you give it orally to goats, correct?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give it as an injectable or orally

if you give it as an injection you follow the directions 1cc per 100lbs

if you give it orally directions are 1cc per 20lbs

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like stacey covered it.... :thumbup:

4. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    That seems like a lot but I could be wrong. We just did all of our worming today and I use 1cc per 34 pounds of the Ivomec. They say giving it orally works way better then injecting it so that's how I've always done it and it works well for me. I've never heard 1cc per 20 pounds though :shrug:

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We give it SQ- I have to warn you, it must burn though some of the goats jump around and scream for a minute afterwards

We have read that giving it orally there is a much faster kill rate- and SQ you have a slower kill rate and supposedly it will be more effective

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My dose that my vet told me was 1cc per 33lbs Ivomac/Ivomac plus... with horse wormers it is different)...so we are pretty close in dosage... :wink: ....stacey has a different dose...but we all have our different ways and methods...whatever works for each of us... we shouldn't change...I respect that....others may have completely different doses as well...... :scratch:

Yes.. giving Ivomac orally works better......
    but to kill one species of lice injecting it does the trick..... It is always better to over dose rather than over dose....always remember that...if we under dose you can create a "Super Worm" :shocked: we need to be careful......

Ivomac is safe to give preggo goats
    Ivomac Plus is not safe for preggo goats

that is so true....they do not like it.... :(

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I give ivermectin 1cc per 20 lbs and always have with no ill side effects. Orally or SQ. I prefer orally, but will do SQ for lice or mange.