making a better goat

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by kikoguy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I have a couple (bottle) kiko boer x kids, I'll let you know how they grow (;

Attached Files:

2. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    They are good looking little guys how old are they

3. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    They were born 12-10 very sweet and healthy! The buckling needs to be castrated ): but I'm going to sell/trade him as a wether

4. brbn

brbn New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think crossing Nubian/Boer with your kiko will help to add length. Our herd has some 100% boers and the rest are Nubian/Boer and Snubian/Boer. Our cross breeds have alot more length and they still have great width. The only thing you may loose is bone mass.
    Good luck and let us know if you try it
    Anna
    www.freewebs.com/brbn

5. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    Thanks for the info anna. I will post my results when I get everything lined out.

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I prefer the LaMancha/Nigerian cross...or at least the idea of one. I really want to try, but need to buy a Manchie or two first! I like that they have a reputation for high butterfat, as does the Nigerian...but have heard the mini-manchas can tend to have higher production than straight Nigerians without getting too large for people like me, who like the convenience of the itty-bittys.

7. winky

winky New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    I came across this Boer/Aline cross purely by chance a few days ago and bought her as a dual purpose... She's super friendly, has good milk stand manners, has a great udder and produces lots of milk and she'll make great meat kids. I'm hoping the Alpine in her will extend her lactation long enough to get 8-10 months of milk out of each breeding. She's already bred to a purebred Boer this year but maybe I'll try a Kiko or Kiko/Boer cross next year???

Attached Files:

8. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Congrats!! She is amazing! :)

9. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    I hadn't thought of crossing a boer and alpine that is a good looking doe congrats on purchasing her.

10. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    I like her. What an udder!

11. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I would breed her to my boer Nubian x (; I'm showing her off to my goat peeps! Everyone's asking if she's for sale haha

12. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    I wish I could find some boer nubian does around here that ion out of would take a generation out of my breeding plan

13. lovemykidds

lovemykidds Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I'll have boer Nubian kids this month and 1/2 boer 1/4 Nubian 1/4 toggenberg kids next month (;

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I think myotonics are some of the best meat goats that the U.S has to offer. ;) They are easy gain on browse, high parasite resistance and gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of the kikos...too dairy IMO, Like the look of Boer but not the cost to feed, care for them or the fact that when you dress them out you get so much bone waste. Yes, they are a massive animal...but for the cost to care for them vs. what you get out...just not worth it to me. I love that my Myos are so easy to care for and theya re also colorful and flashy and pretty to look at when they are out grazing or just snuggling in my lap as well as taste great for dinner. LOL I know a lot of commercial breeders have recently discovered the usefulness of cross breeding with Myos to improve their meat to bone Ratio on both Savannahs, Kiko and Boers.... but I personally am a fan of just a big ,pure Myotonic. :) Although... YES, I am biased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL But all of the meat goat studies that Myos have been entered in...the Myo has always come out on top for Meat to bone ratio and the best part of that is, the producer didn't have to put half as much food into that animal as you do with other breeds. :)

15. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    The problem I have is finding myos that haven't been bred down small for pets I have found some online but they were a long drive. I would like to get some to cross with but will have to wait and find some.

16. SDBoerGoats

SDBoerGoats New Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I have fullblood Boers, ( a FB buck and some does), half Kiko half Boer does, and a Nubian/Boer doe and some Spanish/Boer crosses. My Boers are not hard keepers or susceptible to worms. I do have to trim feet about every 6 weeks. But I have done fecals on my goats and they are always clean. I have never had cocci either.

The one Kiko/Boer cross that has kidded the past 2 years has babies that are strong and energetic and are up fast nursing. Her buckling last year was huge and fast growing and the same this year. She had twin, one doeling and one buckling. They are some of the biggest of the herd. But my Spanish/Boer cross doe had a single by our fullblood buck who was 30 pounds when he was 3 weeks old. So right now he is winning the size contest.

I have 4 Kiko/Boer cross doelings that I purchased from a vet who imported Yakety Yak from South Africa, and her Kiko buck is from the big Kiko ranch here who imports from New Zealand. They will be bred this fall and I am really looking forward to what they produce. This lady has a huge meat goat ranch in the hundreds and is very successful and I am excited to add these 4 does to see what they produce.
    Last year at fair the wethers out of the Spanish/Boer cross does were Grand and Reserve Market Champion in their weight division. They were by the fullblood buck. Right now my Spanish/Boer cross does are at the top of my list for favorite producers.

17. kikoguy

kikoguy Junior Member

Dec 8, 2012
    sw missouri
    Nice this is some of the info I was looking for. Good luck with your girls and let us know what kind of kids they throw.

18. rmgoatfarm

rmgoatfarm New Member

Jan 1, 2013
    We have recently begun raising meat goats and have done alot of research. We recently purchased a 75% kiko x buck to breed with our boers. So far, we love our kiko. He is outside all the time, fed only hay and seems to be very hardy.( Our temperatures are -20 C- -30 + C currently) We also purchased a LaMancha doe that we are going to breed with him to hopefully increase the milk production in our herd. Good Luck!