Making hard choices

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm feeling bad right now, because I'm teetering on make a decision about selling our wether, Uno. He's such a little sweetheart, I took so long to make him tame and friendly, and he's my little pal.

But as our herd grows, it's becoming difficult to justify keeping a non-contributing goat. Plus I don't really get to spend a lot of one on one time with him anymore. The person who has reserved one of Hope's kids is interested in Uno too; their roomate is moving away and taking her goats, so their little pygmy will be lonely, their reason for buying Hope's wether. They are very sweet and nice and have sent me pictures of Jessie's (Hope's kiddo) future friend and have promised pictures of him growing up too. They are obviously a good home.

But its so hard to make a choice like this!

:(

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :( It will work out for the best. :hug:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Been there done that also. It is so hard but when you have someone that is interested in him ans they are taking other goats, that is your best bet, at least you know they care enough to make sure he is not alone. It is hard because of all the work you have done and the love you have for him, but think at it this way, he could go to someone that says that he will be a pet and then later he is eaten or something. Love hurts and he will be fine. I say sell him to someone that wants him.

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh... how sad :sigh: it will all work out!! :)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think that Uno would be fine going to such a thoughtful and loving home....believe me, I know it is hard to makew that decision! But, if you don't have the time for the one on one that he was used to, it may be best for him to go and be a buddy to Jesse. :hug:

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes we are seriously considering it now . . . I am waiting to hear back again from the lovely young lady who reserved Jessie. I will miss him if he goes, but I know he deserves more than the attention I can give him right now.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Of course you will miss him, but you have to do what is best for you and him.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is never easy.....my heart goes out to you... :hug:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    been there done that -- nope it isnt easy. But later on when you do decide that he HAS to go due to some reason or another finding him a good loving home may not be easy - here is a home that wants him and will love him, to me thats the next best thing to owning them.

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Having to downsize is hard-but in the long run it is worth it. I hated having to sell my mini oberhasli herd-but when it came down to it I had to because they weren't earning their keep in the milk barn or the pocket book. I sold one here or there-but not enough to make it worth while. I think they ate more than what they produced in the milk bucket. My LaManchas are milking really good and there are more goat shows available for them around here than there are available for the mini goats.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have one simple rule...I don't keep an animal I have an offer on...well, it has to be a good home of course. But, people are sooo happy when they make their first (or 2nd or 3rd) goat purchase. You have to feel good about that!

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Just look on the bright side -- you can get your hubby to let you buy another doe in place of Uno. He will always have a special place in your heart. I haven't been able to sell the first kids that were born on my farm even though they are not what I really want in my herd.
    Anyway, just remember that everything happens for a reason. It will all work out in the end. I promise. Even if it doesn't work out for the best.

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am still happy when I purchase an animal! Three goats for me was 11 goats ago!

14. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Gee that is a tough one. I think that since you need to down size, and someone is really interested in him, I think it would be a great opportunity to find him a great home and at the same time down size. Almost losing Chey though remind me me of how special the "pet" goats are. Maybe you should think of it through Uno's eyes, where do you think he would be happier? I don't know if that wold help or not.

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well I'm still waiting to hear back whether they want him for sure or not. If they do, he'll have a great new home where he'll get lots of attention. If not, well he has a home here as long as he needs until the right home is found. I couldn't give him any less.