Male Goat Anatomy

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shoutforjoy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. shoutforjoy

shoutforjoy New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    My first buck has really been in rut, he is 10 months old. We noticed that on the tip of his penis, it looks like sometimes there is about an inch long dangly white looking thing. Is that normal?

catharina likes this.
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is hard to understand. Is their a way to get a picture?

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I think I know what you are talking about- and yes that is normal- all bucks have that on their "anatomy" :wink:

catharina likes this.
  4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree it is hard to be sure without a picture, but I think I know what you're talking about and it is normal.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I believe you are talking of The pizzle ...it is a "curley-qued" appendage.
    It looks really thin almost like a worm....... and it may spin around....it is a normal part of his anatomy.... :wink:

spidy1 and catharina like this.
  6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep......I just actually saw of my wethers the other day and at first I was like "what the heck!".......but then realized that was what is called the pizzle........my second in line wether is really acting out right now, wanting to be head goat....so he is acting a bit like a buck! :greengrin:

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Hahaha I just noticed it on my buck recently too. What purpose does it serve?

8. shoutforjoy

shoutforjoy New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    The pizzle is what it seems to be, I thought at first sight that he might have some worm attached on the end. Glad to know that this is normal. Thanks

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I agree, if its pink its normal. I've never seen a white appendage but they do have a pink worm like thing that sticks off the end and it is normal.

10. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Urethral process. Sometimes it is removed by a vet to help prevent obstructive urolithiasis.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Completely normal.....My mom had a Saanen buck that was ALWAYS walking around with his pencil out....mind you now that free range chickens and constantly aroused bucks don't mix, one of her RIR hens decided that the pizzle was something to eat! I never saw a buck bleed like that from that area! The only thing she could do was have my dad hold him while she packed bag balm into the sheath to stop the bleeding.

groovyoldlady, darth and catharina like this.
  12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

oh my gosh Liz - I just bursted out laughing at work

catharina likes this.
  13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL.... It is true! If this boy didn't have that squigly thing at the end, that chicken wouldn't have been tempted!

I have heard of vets snipping the pizzle in the cases of UC and with pizzle rot, but this poor buck had neither, he was just being a buck!

catharina likes this.
  14. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    catharina likes this.
  15. KathyAnn22

KathyAnn22 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Coastal Texas
    I am a new breeder also, "flying by the seat of my pants", our little billy is about 5 months old and he has a pizzle, sarted me the first time I saw it. Thanks for the reassurance.

catharina likes this.
  16. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    My understanding is that it helps them to spray their pee all over themselves more effectively--is this true? If so, I'm going to show Liz's post to my chickens!!

spidy1 and groovyoldlady like this.
  17. KathyAnn22

KathyAnn22 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Coastal Texas
    Oh my Gosh!!!! The 2nd day we had him he peed all over his nose. Sort of reminded me of when my son was a baby. It's been a week now and he has settled in well. The first several days he was running around with both his tongue and his "pencil" hangng out. We have 5 does, and he is eager if not yet ready.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  18. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

yes, the pizzal is what they use to spray them selves, it spinns so they can get full coverage. o_O

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, and if you stand too close beware, you are going to get a shower you don't want. upload_2017-9-19_12-2-9.gif

Goat_Scout and goatblessings like this.