Male goat is aggressive to female goat. Help!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Michellewatson, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Michellewatson

Michellewatson New Member

May 16, 2018
    My fixed male goat constantly rams my not fixed female goat in her side , pushes her, and humps her. I’m terriefied he is seriously going to hurt her. And she seems like she is being tortured by him.They are about a year apart (he is younger) and have the same parents. But he is bigger than her. I don’t know what to. I would love some advise . These are my firsts goats .

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If he is being seriously aggressive and she is always running from him, I would get rid of him and get another wether or doe.

nehimama, Sfgwife and groovyoldlady like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Were they born and raised on your farm or did you purchase them? At the same time or different times? Are these your only two goats?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, being mean, is not going to work. :(

nehimama likes this.
  5. Michellewatson

May 16, 2018
    No, not born and raised at my place . We bought the male from a lady who sells goats and other animals. The reason we bought him was bc our neighbor was wanting to get rid of their female so we took her and knew she needed a friend . So we brought them home on the same day . And our neighbor , who we got the female from , got her from the same lady we got the male from . We were told they have the same parents but from different liters .

6. Michellewatson

May 16, 2018
    These are my only goats

7. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hmm yes unfortunately it doesn't sound like it will work. The male, who was likely middle or bottom of the pecking order at the breeders, suddenly saw his opportunity to be top of the herd and is a brutal enforcer. Some goats are way more rough then others when given the opportunity to be the head honcho. There is no way for you to change his behavior towards the female. I would recommend choosing which goat you prefer as a pet to keep and finding a more well matched companion for that one while selling the other. If you choose to keep the wether - choose another wether of a much larger size as his new companion.

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    If this is going on longer then the first day they meet I agree one needs to go. I’m ok, and will just watch and step in only if I need to the first day when they are figuring things out but if it keeps going on after that for no reason they leave. I do have a few that will get aggressive over certain things, I have one who is food aggressive so I make sure there is plenty of feeders for everyone to eat. Another that is aggressive over her kids so I usually try and keep her stalled till she calms down.......little things that I can fix I’m ok with but just flat out mean no I won’t keep them

9. goatygirl8

goatygirl8 Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Nowhere New Hampshire
    Do they have horns by chance? I would definitely try and rehome the male. Try to find a friend that is her size. If they have horns try to find one with horns and if they don't they try to find one that does not. So that they are on the same level.

nehimama likes this.
  10. Nicole Lydia

Nicole Lydia Member

Mar 16, 2018
    I am having a similar problem in our herd. Our wether is being aggressive to our young doesing. They are only two weeks apart, not born on our farm but bottle raised together. They seem to get along great when we are not in the barn with them (they loaf, graze and sometimes sleep together) but when we are in the barn spending time with them the wether demands all our attention. He rams the doe and chases her off so he can get more scratches and love. Is there any way we can correct this behavior? He has horns and she doesn't. They are both almost 2 months old and still being bottle fed.

11. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Get up and walk away as soon as he swings his head at the doeling while you are giving affection. No affection reward when he does this.

12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    We've had this "attention hog" issue before too. I've used a squirt gun to effectively punish the pushy goat for being aggressive for attention. In a larger goat herd, I've observed that subordinate goats don't boss each other when the Head Honcho goat is on the scene. He enforces good manners and is the only one allowed to be rowdy in his space. When you are in the pen, you are the Head Honcho, so the other goats aren't allowed to smack each other or be rough in your vicinity.

Make sure if your wether comes up for loves and pets that he's being gentle about it. Otherwise make him go back while you give the female attention for a while. He needs to understand that he's only allowed to come over for treats and loves when he's behaving like a gentleman. It sounds like he's not generally mean to your doe except when hogging for attention, so this is something you can work on. If he were always mean to her even when there's nothing to compete for, then you've got a problem.