The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time freshner just had a single doeling about 90 minutes ago. She is not having anything to do with her. Suggestions? Thanks! Cathy

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
first thing I would do is milk some colostrum out and feed the baby....once she is fed and doing ok..then work on mom taking her...baby wont be able to work on mom if she is weak...
for mom...make sure her udder is not hard and painful...some new moms dont understand if baby nurses she would feel better...if her udder is not full and painful then you might just need to work with mom to take the baby...as long as she is not mean to the baby I would leave her in with mom...I would go out every 30 minutes or so and make mom feed the baby...have someone hold mom while you work with baby to nurse...once baby catches on its alot easier to hold mom and let baby do what she does best...some moms will never accept baby and bottle feeding is necessary but then others will warm up to the idea and suddenly you go out to make mom feed her and the baby is aready fed : ) best wishes and congrats!!

·
14,615 Posts
Are you sure she is done birthing? Is she laying down or in a different corner than the baby? Has she cleaned her off?
You can bring baby to teat & show her where; pry open mouth (kid wont like it) tickle her behind.
If mama fights then hold up a rear leg.
Mothering intincts dont always kick in right away on FFs.
(Cathy I be a slow typer)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I think mama is still freaked out some bc she still hasnt passed afterbirth and doesnt like that hanging. She is very full and tight, so we will head out now to milk!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nancy, so am I. She only laid down to push her out..been up walking and pacing all day. We will keep trying. Baby sucked my finger and has good suck.

·
14,615 Posts
Ok smear some afterbirth or blood or what is there on baby's head & rear end.
Let doe lick your hands, then bring the kid to her nose.
It doesnt sound like you have a reject but she needs to be reminded that the kid is hers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So she smelled it after i rubbed the ab on it, but thats all. Had to hold her still to milk colostrum and i helped the baby latch on for a cple minutes. We will keep chugging on.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would try removing her and baby to a place alone. She may show more interest. Keep trying she will probably get it.

Btw she's cute!

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about moving her, but the other goat in the pic is her twin. They never leave each others side. I was afraid she would be more stressed by moving her away from her sister.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Maybe an adjacent pen? Where they can see each other but may draw her attention to the baby. ?? I had one ff that took awhile. I had to clean baby, but momma would lick my hands after. I kept baby in front of her, letting her lick me and then petting baby too. She finally got it. Took hour and half or so before she really got interested. Wishing your girl ***momma vibes**** :)

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with moving her now that she has her baby. She shouldn't be stressed as she has the company of her new little one.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Has she butted at the baby to get it away or is she just paying attention? Are you sure she is done kidding?
I would tie mom or put her on a milk stand and let the baby nurse. The more she nurses the sooner she will lose the afterbirth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats :) We had a first time freshener this week who was a bit similar.

We had to feed the baby initially. Mama took a little longer to willingly feed the baby on her own, even though she showed concern for the kid. We ended up having to hold her, and when the kid was strong enough just letting it find its way. We needed to do that a couple of times but after that she lets the kid feed from her. Good luck :)

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
all good advice..just wanted to say.....she is cute!!! congrats....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She was snorting at it and head butting at it, and generally wouldnt come near her. It is raining, damp and chilly here. We held mama and i milked some, and helped baby nurse some every 30 minutes til midnight. Baby was chilly, temp dropping, so I brought her in the house...she is wrapped in a towel, stuffed in my shirt to get warm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So mama is still trying to head butt. Guess I have a bottle baby! Is it ok to give some of my other dpes milk to her along with the collostrum for the calories?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts