The Goat Spot Forum banner

Mama goat is sick

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a mama bore goat that has had a fecal and was heavy workload of barberpole worms. I treated her with Cydectin on 7/29/21 with 7 ml and white wormer Valbazen 6 ml. This morning she ate a little and went out in the lot and popped a lot of pellets. I had a thought to see how well the two wormers were working so so I gathered up some pellets and put in my goat refrigerator to keep until this evening after lunch I ran a fecal again. She was very heavy with the BP still. When I went back down to feed this evening she was off feed so I took her temp. It was 105.5f. I went back to house and got my banamine (2ml)and a noromycin 300 shot (2-1/4 ml) she weighs about 70-75 pounds. I also gave her a vitamin B Complex shot (5ml) . I Gave the shots and some probotics. She ate very little of her alfalfa and oats mixed half and half. I offered her green oak leaves and she ate a good amount of them. I also gave her some herbal DWA and some Herbotics. How quick does the wormers act? Maybe I shouldn’t have run the fecal so soon. Her famacha score is what put me in action, it was a 5, white as death. She has been acting fine and popping pellets like she should. What do I do next? (tomorrow)

#2 ·
I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in. I would definitely continue giving green branches, b complex, and if possible, probiotics, to help keep her rumen going. B complex should help with the anemia, too.
Red cell would also help with anemia. Dosage I use for my 100 - 150 lb. goats is 6 cc Red cell daily, til FAMACHA begins to pink up. If she's around 75 lbs., maybe do 3 or 3.5 cc

#3 ·
I agree..keep up with b complex and other anemia support, the antibiotics daily and probiotics at least 3 hours after antibiotics.
Too soon to see if dewormer are effective. Need at least 7 to ten days after treatment.
I would keep up with the herbs as well.

#4 ·
What about the high temp? Keep giving the Noromycin 300 or maybe Nuflor daily for a week? I gave 2 ml Noromycin 300 this evening late. Thanks

Reactions: JML Farms
#5 ·
I have a mama bore goat hat has had a fecal and was heavy workload of barberpole worms. I treated her with Cydectin on 7/29/21 with 7 ml and white wormer Valbazen 6 ml. This morning she ate a little and went out in the lot and popped a lot of pellets. I had a thought to see how well the two wormers were working so so I gathered up some pellets and put in my goat refrigerator to keep until this evening after lunch I ran a fecal again. She was very heavy with the BP still. When I went back down to feed this evening she was off feed so I took her temp. It was 105.5f. I went back to house and got my banamine (2ml)and a noromycin 300 shot (2-1/4 ml) she weighs about 70-75 pounds. I also gave her a vitamin B Complex shot (5ml) . I Gave the shots and some probotics. She ate very little of her alfalfa and oats mixed half and half. I offered her green oak leaves and she ate a good amount of them. I also gave her some herbal DWA and some Herbotics. How quick does the wormers act? Maybe I shouldn’t have run the fecal so soon. Her famacha score is what put me in action, it was a 5, white as death. She has been acting fine and popping pellets like she should. What do I do next? (tomorrow)
You cannot stop the abx now but.... in future when it is hot like this wait until late evening or early morning for a more true temp check.

With bp you treat differently than other worms. The valb should have been given... immediately, 12 hours later then again in ten days twice more. I have also seen where people do it for five straight days then at ten day intervals for twice more. It has also not been long enough to get a true fecal result from the worming that you did do. For a 75lb goat she should have gotten 7.5ml of the valbazen anyway iirc. With any fever i do not give grain. They get hay, forage, pasture mineral, water and electrolytes. No pellet.

You need to give her things now for the anemia. Red cell.

#10 ·
Definitely need to keep up antibiotics for 5 days. La 200 (noromycin) is 1 cc per 20# sub q. Make sure to dose correctly. Probiotics daily at least 3 hours after antibiotics.

Reactions: toth boer goats
#11 ·
The dosage sounds low for the cydectin. Rule of thumb for goats is to double the dosage that is listed on the bottle -- those dosages are listed for sheep, not goats. So I give a 70lb goat 14ml of cydectin. Otherwise you're not getting all of the worms and you're allowing the worms to develop resistance. Repeating the wormer in 10 days as recommended by others is good advice.

To help with the anemia and to make sure she gets enough fluids you may want to add some molasses to her water.

Good luck!

#12 ·
BP is horrible this year! I’ve had a couple that have fever with and did not treat with antibiotics and the fever went away on its own in a couple days. I worm with ivermectin 1cc per 30lbs orally and valbazan I double the dose on the back. I give both at the same time in different syringes. I give 15cc of red cell to a 150lb goat everyday for at least 5 days

#15 ·
I would also give her electrolytes in her water, and do a flat, dark beer drench to help her rumen. Keep a strict eye on the kids - weigh daily - to make sure she has enough milk to support them.
I’m the milkman for the baby. She had very little milk when baby was born. Her baby is the one that had the knot on the side of her jaw. I treated the baby with pen G for 14 days to stop the knot from filling back up. She still has a little bump but not near what it was. Vet said it was a salivary gland causing it. He lanced it twice and flushed with iodine and it would fill back up. The third time it fill back up , I lanced and flushed with iodine and started pen G for 14 days. Knot has almost gone now but still a little bump. At 3 months old now she is still on 4 bottles of whole milk a day, 2-morning and 2 evening. I hope to start weaning soon as she is eating grain, alfalfa, grass and browse plus 4 bottles a day.

#14 ·
I have given her Noromycin 300 every day for 5 days, tomorrow evening would be 6 days. This evening her temp was 103f. This was first evening it has been down, yesterday it was down to 104.1f. It had been up to 106f. My question is do I continue the Noromycin 300 one more day if the temp is still down or call it quits?? If her temp is 104 and up I will give the Noromycin 300. I also gave her 3-1/2 ml of Banamine yesterday. No banamine given this evening as temp was 103f. I fed her some green leaves, gave redcell, 90ml flat black beer and gave her 5th day of Noromycin 300, plus another round of Vitamin B Complex. She acts like she feels better.

#16 ·
Might do a full 7 days of antibiotics to help prevent relapse. Glad her temp is down today.

#18 ·
I gave Noromycin 300 yesterday evening along with probotics and replaime and 5 ml of Vit B Complex. Temp was 103.8f. This morning temp was 102.1f. Morning are always good. I’ll continue with the Noromycin 300 and Vit B Complex until Sunday. If temp is still 103.8f or below I won’t give any banamine.

Reactions: happybleats
#19 ·
I wouldn’t give banamine, if it is 104 and under. Seeings how you have been using it for a while now. It can cause other health issues.

You also need to not use it, to see where her temp is truly at.

If she still has a high temp after all is said and done, you may have to go RX with a stronger antibiotic.

#20 ·
I agree. I don't use Banamine for anything under 104.5 unless goat is real lethargic. Usually getting b complex and antibiotics reduces temp pretty quickly or a little cool compresses. Banamine is hard on their system and should be used sparingly.

Reactions: toth boer goats
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.