The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big 4 year old nubian doe had 3 kids yesterday all with no assistance or complications. She has had twins twice before this and before we bought her. After the first (buckling) was born we had about 20 minutes before the second (doeling) was born then only 8 minutes before number 3 (buckling) popped out. She cleaned and bonded with each one as much as she was able, we helped dry each one too. None of them was able to get to a teat until she was done. by that time time the first one was very cold and seemed weaker than the other two. I milked some of her colostrum and took him to the house to warm up and get some food in him, he brightened an bit and became a little more active. about an hour later i checked on the other two and felt the doe's mouth (very cold) and brought her up as well. she brightened considerably. another hour later we took them back to mama to let them nurse, she was fine with the doe nursing but wanted nothing to do with the first buckling. Am i stuck with 2 bottle babies or can i try to put them with a doe we are milking and if so whats the best way to go about it? This doe has let her "weaned" kid come back to nurse after over a month so i figured she's a good candidate.
The babies did take the bottle later and each got 5oz colostrum.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I would still try to get their biological mama to accept them.... Is she just completely ignoring the buckling(s) or butting/chasing after them?

You would have to go out multiple times a day to hold the doe so they can nurse, and also if she's aggressive towards them it may be a good idea to have a place where they can get away from her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would still try to get their biological mama to accept them.... Is she just completely ignoring the buckling(s) or butting/chasing after them?

You would have to go out multiple times a day to hold the doe so they can nurse, and also if she's aggressive towards them it may be a good idea to have a place where they can get away from her.
She doesn't butt them but simply acts as though they don't exist, even steps on them. Holding her is almost impossible, shes 165lbs and has horns. we put her on the stand last night and she laid down. Not my favorite goat right now! LOL
I will try her again this afternoon when we (me and the 2 kids) get home from work.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Can you tie her to a post or something and then also straddle her? I had to do this a few times with a confused FF last January, and after several days she caught on and stood for her kid to nurse. Although, all but one of my does can't weigh more than 110 pounds so it's easier to do. :oops:

Reactions: capracreek

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Tie her up and one back leg so she cannot kick.

Make sure you milk her out a little bit and feed her babies with what you get out, with a 12 cc syringe(no needle), slowly at the back corner of their mouths.

If she is super tight in the udder, she will not allow her babies to nurse, she hurts. After you relieve her, then try her kids on her.

Make sure her milk is OK and no mastitis or congestion. Milk flow is good.

If she is still not good about it, then go out every few hours and repeat.
Making sure they get milk.

If you have a heat lamp, I would put one out for them.

If mama is being mean to the boy, slamming him, you have a bottle baby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts