The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our does kidded last night, a set of twins. Both doing well. Last night, I found one sac on the ground & she still had more to pass. It was hanging when we left the barn to head in for bed. Today, it looks like she has pushed a little more out (fresh, clean placenta at the top that isn't dirty from dragging) but this afternoon she keeps straining & nothing. I went in & checked for a fetus & I can't feel one (there is a smallish hard structure towards the bottom of her uterus...pelvic bone???). Temp is 105. She didn't eat her grain & it doesn't look like she are much hay or drank much through the night. She is still letting her kids nurse. I know the rule is 24 hours to pass placenta & it will be 24 hours tonight. Should I continue to wait it out at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Her temp is very high. Give her a shot of Banamine, 1cc per 100lbs.
You should not be able to feel any hard or bone like substances at the bottom of her uterus, so I think there may be a very small, dead kid down there.
Can you have a vet come out and check her?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I dont even think you shoulda been able to get in after that long of a time if she had passed it. There is something a vet can give her to make her contract but before you do that you HAVE to make sure she is still open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, she passed the afterbirth that was hanging but continued to contract last night so we called the vet out. There was a dead kid. Thank goodness we called!

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts