The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
595 Posts
We use a double treatment, every month with a sulfa product of Albon or which the above mentioned are, and Deccox M which is basically a birth control for cocci. If you live where it is very wet you need both if you have kids.

Be very sure you get the deccox into them daily as slkipping days allows them to reproduce and build up a load.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
If you have a question about your herd's cocci level I'd have a herd fecal done on the kids. Just grab some berries from several kids and have them looked at by the vet. Then you have the real answer to your question.

· Registered
118 Posts
I have a question on Albon. The solution that my feed supply store carries is a 40% solution (400mg per ml, per the label). What is your oral dose for cocci (I have a weanling that has started getting thin again, he had a cocci problem when he was about a month old) The breeder suggested 1ml orally every day for a week and then once a day after that until ?????

I treated him, he fattened up and I have not treated him for about 5 or 6 weeks now and he is getting skinny again...So this is my fault, I thought the cocci thing was behind us, but now after some education I know that this is an ongoing thing. So the major question is: What is suggested as a dose of the 40% albon (dimethox) and for how long and does everyone get it even if they are well-fleshed? I see that the packgoat book suggests 5 days a month until they are a year...then what? And are those 5 days consecutive? And when I gave it to them, they start foaming and get frothy and whining, should I dilute it in some molasses or honey?

· Premium Member
595 Posts
Kids up to 40 pounds should get 2 cc's on day one and 1 cc days 2 through 5. This should be repeated monthly until they are eating well and can get enough deccox to work which is about 6 months.

· Registered
118 Posts
does anyone have experience with the purina goat feed that is medicated with a coccidostat? I can't come up with the name at the moment, but I think it might be noble goat?? Any how.. is it effective as a coccidiostat? I just noticed it when I was picking up a bag of goat chow.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
Coccidiostats just keep cocci from multiplying, they don't kill existing cocci. If you have a lot of probelms in your area you'll need to do both Sulfa drugs like Albon (coccidiocide) and a coccidiostat to keep the numbers down in between treatments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.