management idea

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ohiogoatgirl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    buy milky way and moonbeam -$130
    feed for a year -$264
    kidding= 4 kids to sell ($60 average for kids around here) +$240
    buy 2 breeding age does (about $100 each if from a friend) -$200
    kidding= 4 kids to sell +$240
    worth of milk +$ ????

about how much would the milk be worth? one person said 4 to 8 dollars a gallon for goat milk depending on the area... but how much milk does a doe usually produce? one of my books says 1pint to 6quarts a day per doe. so average 3quarts a day= 162.5 gallons in five months. 162 gallons at $4 a gallon= $648 milk for one goat= $1296 for two and $2592 for four. i will be using about 1 gallon a day though for drinking/in food. i was writing a sort of sketch-plan for money-use-in-a-year type thing. in my plan the goats are bred jan. 1 =kidding about may 30= sell babies at 12wks= buy breeding age does aug.= breed aug. 1= kidding about dec. 28= sell babies at 12wks which would be march of the next year.

so... what do you think?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I do sell milk it's $2 a quart....I have one nigi doe that gives a bit over 2 qts a day, a nigi/pygmy that gave 1 qt as a FF.

Just be mindful of the laws regarding milk sales off the farm in your state....mine is sold as "pet food"

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    When I sell milk I sell for $10/gal.

Raw goat milk at the Farmer's Market here goes for almost twice that ($18/gal) and even the stuff at the grocery store here is nearly $14/gal. Most people I know with goats sell theirs for about $12 so I'm actually on the low side.

I sell mine as "pet food" as well and have a contract people sign stating that fact given the laws here in NM.

Also, I was getting a gallon a day from my girl for months and honestly, couldn't keep up with it. We didn't drink it all and I could only make so much cheese - it ads up fast! I only ever have the one goat in milk and my S. Saanen is a huge producer. When my Nubian is in milk I don't get as much and tend to have less to sell.

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    yeah i have to look up the law stuff. what about the "contract people sign stating that fact given the laws here in NM."? they have to sign a contract to buy milk?

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I've only had my 2 girls for a few weeks.... spent 450.00 for 2 registered
    Nigerian dwarfs.. one bred.... paid for fencing, feeder, feed, + extras...
    but having them run up to me, petting, hugging them... having one fall asleep in my arms while doing the pedicure... ... Priceless
    (what a sucker!)

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM

They don't have to but it is a CYA contract. Because it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption without a license in the state I make all people who buy my milk sign a contract stating it isn't for human consumption.

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Actually it is illegal in NM to sell raw milk for pet consumption, one of two or so states that have that law. You can get a raw milk permit, but it is really tough. I don't sell milk, so I haven't looked into it much. You can lose that permit for one complaint about nothing even remotely related to your milk even though your milk tests perfectly. I don't know how hard it is in NM to get a permit to sell pasteurized milk.

But in most places it is not trivial. The dairy here that had a permit to sell raw milk but lost it a year or so ago ( for no good reason at all, mind you) was selling it for $14 a gallon.

Jan