Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I only worm if needed

Votes: 5 83.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What products and schedule do you use to prepare a pregnant doe for kidding and to avoid anemia after birth?

We've recently had issues with our mothers becoming severely anemic after kidding. My husband has wormed on a schedule since we've had our goats. 2 Nubians that we got late last year had surprise births at the end of the year and did awesome; however, ever since we've had big issues with anemia with our other Boer and Nubians after kidding.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Do they have a good loose mineral? What supplements do you give? Do you have fecals done? What are they eating?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've been using the Purina Goat Feed, Alfafa Cubes, and grass hay along with whatever they forage from the pasture. My husband has mineral blocks that he puts out for them that they lick and bite chunks off of. We've been using Power Drench in the last couple of months. I recently purchased copper bolus, GI Soother, and DWormA within the last week so I have not administered any of it yet. We have never had fecals done because no one around here works with goats. Would a regular cat/dog vet do a goat fecal? What loose minerals do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Purina wind and rain cattle mineral. Sweetlix Meatmaker 16:8. Cargill Right Now Onyx cattle.

The blocks are full of molasses and the goats don't get enough mineral.

Any vet should be able to do a fecal. You can also send it to MidAmerica. Have a fecal done to include coccidia.

I suspect your problem is mineral deficiency but you could also have parasites that are either resistant to your wormer or your giving the wrong wormer.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree change to some good minerals and send a sample to midamerica. That’s going to give you a answer on the parasites.
It is so so frustrating not having a vet that does fecals. I’m in the same boat. My “dog” vet won’t do them because they are livestock and my livestock vet I’m lucky if he has time to help me with a emergency because he’s so busy, so fecals are out of the question. What I ended up doing is buying a microscope. I do NOT put 100% trust in my abilities doing them, mainly what numbers to treat or not to treat, but when I know parasites are a issue and I need something to go off of now it’s better then nothing or waiting around for it to be mailed off and getting the results later. For people like us I seriously do suggest getting a microscope and start playing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ksalvagno @toth boer goats
Getting some good minerals has bumped up to the very top of my list. Thank you for your help.
@mariarose
I will definitely check that out. I did try to check out the products ksalvagno suggested and of course couldn't find them anywhere around here. Thank you.
@Jessica84
I have been seriously looking into getting a microscope. I used to be a Vet Tech in my younger days so I have experience will setting up fecals and some egg identification. I will have to brush up on goat worms though.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Reactions: cicimi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts