The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does (fourth freshener) delivered twins on monday 4/12/21. On sunday I noticed she was in pain, tender-footed and swaying a lot. her temp was 103-ish those few days and i gave her a lot of attention. I figured it was milk fever and picked up the 23% calcium, and cmpk. Now she's feeling better but i notice by the way she walks periodically that her feet might be hurting and i give her another calcium injection. I am giving her tums and alfalfa daily.

my question is, as long as she is nursing, should i be worried her calcium levels might drop at any time? or can i reach a plateau with enough alfalfa and calcium supplements to not be worried as much?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,186 Posts
As long as she is feeding the kidds, she will need calcium supplementation. Also selenium. Her system is depleted. So to answer you. Yes. Feed her a little of the CMPK and alfafa each day that she is lactating.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
CMPK is very caustic so I don't recommend giving it daily. If you can find another source of calcium that is sufficient for her needs I recommend trying that instead. Have you consulted with a vet? They may have some good long-term recommendations. They can also prescribe calcium injections if she needs them to get her past the hump.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!!

CMPK is very caustic so I don't recommend giving it daily. If you can find another source of calcium that is sufficient for her needs I recommend trying that instead. Have you consulted with a vet? They may have some good long-term recommendations. They can also prescribe calcium injections if she needs them to get her past the hump.
is giving the calcium gluconate 23% in small doses potentially harmful? ive not read anything about its long-term use.

its funny bc i called my vet the day my doe was in pain and they never got back to me lol, i dont know why. when i started treating her on my own and saw improvement i didnt harass them again.

i will look into better calcium sources ASAP to get her feeling 100% again. this does is very tolerant of a wide range of injections and drenching but cmpk is not on that list.

A lovely recipe for calcium is 1/2 carrot juice and celery juice - equal parts 30 cc twice a day. My doe did great in this and sucked the stuff out of the drench gun
i will definitely try this! its a blessing when a goat wants to be drenched.

As long as she is feeding the kidds, she will need calcium supplementation. Also selenium. Her system is depleted. So to answer you. Yes. Feed her a little of the CMPK and alfafa each day that she is lactating.
i will continue to offer her free-choice alfalfa pellets. she doesn't eat them very quickly but nibbles on them all day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.