Mane and Tail Stiff and Wirey

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Green Mountain Farm, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    My haflinger’s mane and tail (and forelock) have become stiff and wirey over the past few years. Any tips on how to get it to feel like normal hair again? He is getting on in age but I didn’t know if that is a normal thing for older horses. It’s almost like each hair is thick and stiff, almost feels like whiskers.

2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Have you tried washing and conditioning them? I condition my horse's manes and tails several times a week to keep them soft and prevent them from developing itchy dry skin that makes them rub the hair out.

Green Mountain Farm likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Conditioning is good. I also like adding some crushed flaxseed or flax seed oil (or another form of oil, most use corn or canola but I'm a much bigger fan of flax oil).

4. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Flaxseed oil does amazing things for the whole coat! You will see quite a difference if you start using it.

5. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I have tried conditioning but it didn’t seem to help. Also it’s cold here in VA, is there a way I should be washing him/his mane? I usually give him baths in the summer and then just a good brushing in the winter.

6. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Do you feed it to them or put it on their mane and coat?