The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My haflinger’s mane and tail (and forelock) have become stiff and wirey over the past few years. Any tips on how to get it to feel like normal hair again? He is getting on in age but I didn’t know if that is a normal thing for older horses. It’s almost like each hair is thick and stiff, almost feels like whiskers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My haflinger's mane and tail (and forelock) have become stiff and wirey over the past few years. Any tips on how to get it to feel like normal hair again? He is getting on in age but I didn't know if that is a normal thing for older horses. It's almost like each hair is thick and stiff, almost feels like whiskers.
Have you tried washing and conditioning them? I condition my horse's manes and tails several times a week to keep them soft and prevent them from developing itchy dry skin that makes them rub the hair out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried washing and conditioning them? I condition my horse's manes and tails several times a week to keep them soft and prevent them from developing itchy dry skin that makes them rub the hair out.
I have tried conditioning but it didn't seem to help. Also it's cold here in VA, is there a way I should be washing him/his mane? I usually give him baths in the summer and then just a good brushing in the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts