Mange Mites?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rascal66, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    One of my does is scabbing and losing fur around her ankles and hooves...
    20200310_144241.jpg 20200310_144245.jpg
    I've read about administering Ivermectin, but I believe she is pregnant, and I don't want to risk her losing her kids if she is. She is likely to be due here in April. (Not 100% sure because I didn't see her come into heat around the buck, but then again she hasn't come into heat at all ever since I brought her in with him. She has kidded before, and currently has a little bump.)
    20200310_144220.jpg 20200310_144230.jpg She is a Kiko doe, about almost 2 years old. Are these mange mites? How can I treat without using injectable ivermectin? If I must use ivermectin, does anyone know how much? Also, can I give it orally other than sub-q?
    Please, any advise or info is much appreciated.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Also, would python dust be useful at all?

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Orally will do nothing for mites or lice. You could try the python dust. I, too have preg. does and hate to give meds the first 3 months (actually the entire preg.).

Moers kiko boars and Rascal66 like this.
  4. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Anyone have experience using Lime sulfer dips for them?

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I have been told on here that Ivermectin Pour on is safe for pregnant does that are 90 + days preggo.
    So, that’s what I did.

6. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Is a pour on like a topical liquid? I haven't used a pour on before, so would I just apply it over affected areas?

7. MadHouse

You pour it over the top line. 1 ccper 20 lbs.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep.

You can also scrape off all the scabs and put Nu-stock on the bad area's. Every 3 days.

9. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thanks! Its just a bit confusing thinking about it, if the mites are based around the feet, how does doing a top line along the back help? So sorry, probably a silly question, I'd just like to understand how it works :) I'll try these asap. Thank you!

10. MadHouse

Now, I’m not the expert, but from what I understand, they absorb it to the bloodstram and it kills the mites that way. I have read on here that people also apply the pour on directly to the affected areas if it is really bad.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, it does go into the blood stream and then gets all part of the body, where the mites are. ;)

Not a silly question. ;)

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  12. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Last night I finally got my hands on some ivermectin pour on. Will do my best to update on how she's doing. Since this posting, she started losing a bit of fur right behind her horns too.
    Would anyone know If I would need to reapply this soon?

13. Chris488

Chris488 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Upstate NY
    One of my wethers has the same thing, although not as bad. I sent a pic to the vet and she said it was pretty common this time of year. She said to give Ivermectin SQ and use Python Dust.

14. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Well because of her pregnancy, I opted to use the pour-on. I actually python dusted my girls about a month ago since Ive had lice pop up this time of year. Everyone except this doe seems fine so far. Poor thing, feel bad for the fur loss and the irritation :(

15. MadHouse

Reapply in 14 days.

16. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    So far so good, shes not so itchy anymore, and the scabs are fading! Don't want to get my hopes up just yet, still wanna see note regrowth first. Also can't wait, I'm pretty sure she's pregnant now, but have no idea when she's due. :shrug:

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  17. mmcgill

mmcgill Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I used this with great success (not on a pregnant doe though so be sure to check). We had a heck of a time with a buck we purchased who looked similar shortly after arriving - the thought was stress of moving caused the outbreak to come on so abruptly. Vet had us use lime sulfur dip and it cleared up right away. Her instructions were to spray the area with the dip and then apply desitin over top. Killed the little buggers instantly, and the hair grew back shortly after.

Rascal66 likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not knowing how far along she is, is a bit concerning.

19. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    It is, but she was exposed to my buck early november, and one of my other does went into heat and was bred almost immediately (I have it marked on the calendar for her), but for this doe, I can only assume shortly after she was bred, but I just must have missed it. Her tail end is getting a bit squishy, and her 'bump' is more obvious. I would expect her to be due after my other doe, which is.. April 9th. That's all I have to go off of :s

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they are 90 days bred, it is safe to use Ivomectrin pour on on them.

Rascal66 likes this.