The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rdmtnfarms
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this will is my first breeding season. I plan on doing DHIR and showing my girls. I am trying to decide for sure between dam raising and bottle raising. I have read conflicting opinions. I would like to dam raise for several reasons, but I just don't know if it is possible with milk testing and showing. Please give me your experienced knowledge in this and if you think it is possible. I will be attending around 4-5 shows a year. Also does doing owner sampler milk testing make your does eligible for the the top ten awards?

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
I know people who dam raise and are on milk test. I think they just separate the kids the night before and do the test the next day. Not sure if they just do one milking/sample in the AM then alternate on the next test or if they keep the kids away all day and offer them a bottle in the middle of the day so they can get both samples. With the owner sampler goats are not eligible for Top Ten, if you look on the ADGA website under the info for DHIR they have a chart that shows each test type and what the goat is eligible for. If you do owner sampler you will have to have a verification test done sometime during the year for their records to be official.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you bottle feed you will save yourself a lot of trouble being on test and showing.

First the doe will hold back on test if she has had kids on her. Second both the kid and dam will be nuts separated for showing.

I would never buy a non bottle fed kid, let me rephrase that: I would never buy a kid that was not bottle fed on pasteurized milk and heat treated colostrum.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I dam raise almost all my kids (we always seem to have 1 or 2 bottle babies) because the herd has been tested clean for CAE and we do not have the schedules that allow us to bottle feed 35+ kids every year :)

We are also on DHIR and we show extensively in California.

So to answer your original question = yes it can absolutely be done.

Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts