Marbled Eyes???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jul 17, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    What do marbled eyes look like? I keep hearing about goats w/ marbled eyes, but still don't exactly know what it looks like. It's sounds really pretty, but i've never seen. Anyone have pics???

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My chocolate wether has marbled eyes. There are a couple spots of blue in there.

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Here are a couple of examples that I have on hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
  5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i think its just like hazel eyes, in goats. it looks pretty in those pics.

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    It's not hazel.
    The eye is either mostly brown with spots in it or mostly blue with brown spots in it.
    But no matter how much or little blue they have in their eyes they carry the blue gene.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh great this helps me a lot already!! Thank you! The goat in the last pic just has gorgeous eyes!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh , so do only ND have them?

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Great question! Man, was I wrong in what I thought marbled eyes were. :) They are so beautiful! Love that last pic! Now that I think of that, we had a kid last year w/ marbling in his eyes, my mom kept thinking they were blue but that must have been marbling. . . . interesting. Great pics!

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Myotonics/fainters have blue eyes also.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    It can be a little frustrating...first you think they are blue...then you think they are brown! Those are all great pictures though, great work!

12. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Yes, Tennesse Fainting Goats have blue and marbled eyes as well.
    The second and third picture are of the same goat just different eyes and at different ages.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah you can see blue in the eye but its not a completely blue eye.

14. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    They can vary quite a bit, some tend to blend more brown(or gold) to blue, and others have more separated color, one of my doelings this year originally looked to have blue eyes, but now she has chunks of brown around the outsides. My other marble eyed kid this year had what looked like pale blue at first, but are now a nice blended color, blue in the center darkening to brown as you go out.

15. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    any of the mini's of the standard breeds
    ie
    mini nubian, mini mancha, etc
    are "legal" to have blue eyes because of the cross with the ND's
    my final goal is to have a small herd of spotted blue-eyed mini nubians with awesome udders

16. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    heavenlyhaven- That is an awesome goal!!!! I hope you achieve it!

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I wouldn't mind having blue-eyes in some of my Mini-Manchas. Right now I only have two blue-eyed bucks nad one will be leaving this fall since he's sold. Just staying to stud for a while. I haven't completely made up my mind yet who to breed them to. I can't wait to see what they have and they're not even bred! Haha

18. Alanna Richert

Alanna Richert New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Would this be considered marble? Just curious, I have 2 bucklings out of a triplet birth with eyes like the top pic, and the doeling has Amber eyes. Their 20180212_122550_077_01.jpg eyes are light blue in the center, and fade to brown.

19. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I don't know, I have a 3 year old wether like this that I thought it was because he was two weeks premature.

20. Alanna Richert

Alanna Richert New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    These guys were born exactly 150 days. I was just curious, I'd never seen it before. None of my other kids have it. They're either brown or blue.