The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I took a combined fecal sample to my vet yesterday for my three six week old ND kids. It showed a low amount of coccidia and she prescribed Marquis and told me it was the same as toltazuril as a one and done wormer.
I haven't given it yet as I've never heard of it and wanted to check with y'all. (These vets do treat goats on a regular basis ... I'm just being cautious)
@toth boer goats @mariarose @SalteyLove @Damfino @ksalvagno @HoosierShadow @Jessica84
Anyone...Any experience with this....
Advice please

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The only one I'm familiar with using is Corid, definitely not a One and Done medication. Sorry, but I'm interested in what others say.

·
14,802 Posts
I was doing a search and came across this thread, somehow I missed it! I have been doing my own fecals, and finding that some of our yearlings have had cocci - 2 of them I definitely suspected, but the other 2 I did not, and one of those has more than the others.
I'm using Sulfadimethoxine, but it's such a pain to use because of 5 day treatment. I plan on following up with CoRid but my friend and I were talking yesterday and wondering if we should just invest in Marquis - they are our neighbor and also deal with cocci.
We didn't start dealing with it until probably about 2015-ish.

Dosing young goats isn't too bad, but when you are treating bigger kids and yearlings - Boer who are over 100lbs, it can be time consuming and a lot of meds since you have to treat 1cc per 5lbs. for 5 days for active issue. The 2 I am treating right now have to have 30-32cc a day. Crazy.

GoofyGoat - how did it end up working for you?

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was doing a search and came across this thread, somehow I missed it! I have been doing my own fecals, and finding that some of our yearlings have had cocci - 2 of them I definitely suspected, but the other 2 I did not, and one of those has more than the others.
I'm using Sulfadimethoxine, but it's such a pain to use because of 5 day treatment. I plan on following up with CoRid but my friend and I were talking yesterday and wondering if we should just invest in Marquis - they are our neighbor and also deal with cocci.
We didn't start dealing with it until probably about 2015-ish.

Dosing young goats isn't too bad, but when you are treating bigger kids and yearlings - Boer who are over 100lbs, it can be time consuming and a lot of meds since you have to treat 1cc per 5lbs. for 5 days for active issue. The 2 I am treating right now have to have 30-32cc a day. Crazy.

GoofyGoat - how did it end up working for you?
Well, in the kids it cleared them right up. I did a follow up fecal and it came back clean. I only used the one dose. Then about 10 -12 days later the kids doe had a high coccidia load and I dosed her and the kids again per the vets instructions.
I'm going to take a combined fecal sample to the vet Tuesday or Wednesday to follow up. If you can split it with a friend it would save a small fortune because my vet charged me $40. for the four doses total # of cc's was about 7.
I'm thinking of getting toltazuril if I need to retreat because you can get enough for a whole herd for the same price about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see these are older posts but hoping to get an answer. I use Marquis int he tube for horses to treat my puppies for coccidia. It is amazing. I have a goat with coccidia and since I have the Marquis I was looking for the dose. She is 50 pounds and a yearling. I am wondering if the dose mentioned was the paste right from the tube or diluted?

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see these are older posts but hoping to get an answer. I use Marquis int he tube for horses to treat my puppies for coccidia. It is amazing. I have a goat with coccidia and since I have the Marquis I was looking for the dose. She is 50 pounds and a yearling. I am wondering if the dose mentioned was the paste right from the tube or diluted?
For a 100mg per cc tube the dosage is 0.6cc’s per 10lbs of Marquis. It works very well. For a 50lb goat it would be 3cc’s total. I‘d put paste in clean syringe for accurate measurement then give it orally .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts