The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm new here

I have one doe who had mastitis last season. Got it cleared pretty quickly, however the infected udder never produced milk after that. The other side of the udder was fine. Lots of good milk.

She got pregnant again (sorry) and her one kid is nursing the previously infected udder, no problems. But the other side has a mass or lump? The milk is free flowing, no chunks or blood or tissue, and I can massage the mass and make it mostly gone when I empty her, but her udder is still.. I don't know how to describe it.. dense? Any ideas/advice? Is her milk good until I let her go when all of kids are ready?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am no help, don't milk. Sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Dawrf Dad. My husband is paranoid and thinks its Tuberculosis. I don't think it is. I need someone to help me cool him off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The single kid is nursing one side only. I’m emptying the other side for her at least twice a day. I’d like to keep that milk for myself cause the kid is getting enough but my husband refuses to let me even bring her milk in the house. He doesn’t even want it if I pasteurize it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just for reference I’m getting about a quart from that side in the AM and about a half quart in the PM. Her kid keeps the other side under control.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Have you tested your goat for CAE, Johnes, and Brucellosis, and TB? The blood tests through a livestock laboratory are usually not very expensive.

What you are describing about the mass or lump in the half of the udder that the kid does not feed one sounds like she is a getting a bit of "congested udder" as they say. I say this because you are able to milk and massage it away. How long ago did she kid? Her body may still be adjusting the supply on either half based on current demand.

I'm hoping a couple of the "dairy experts" will jump in here for you! I don't do much milking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tested your goat for CAE, Johnes, and Brucellosis, and TB? The blood tests through a livestock laboratory are usually not very expensive.

What you are describing about the mass or lump in the half of the udder that the kid does not feed one sounds like she is a getting a bit of "congested udder" as they say. I say this because you are able to milk and massage it away. How long ago did she kid? Her body may still be adjusting the supply on either half based on current demand.

I'm hoping a couple of the "dairy experts" will jump in here for you! I don't do much milking.
They've been tested for Johnes, but not the others. I don't know her CAE status. I actually called a local vet this morning to ask about testing for TB, brucellosis, etc, and he said not necessary but being in a fecal if I have concerns? So any info on finding an independent lab would be helpful.
It's been a while now since she kidded, 6 or 7 weeks? It feels like congestion similar to what I would have had nursing my own kids (lol tmi??) but it doesn't seem to matter how frequently I milk her out it always comes back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting her tested would give peace of mind.
Also test for mastitis in case.
I would like to get them tested - but it seems that anyone I've asked (vets and the state ag dept) have told me that I don't have to worry about that stuff. Why do they say that?

She had mastitis last year and I don't think this is mastitis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is not right, they do not know, unless they test for things. They cannot assume.
Any other vets around?

Mastitis can start again, when they freshen, if not all was cured previously, before she was dried up.
There are other vets around by my state is supposed to be "TB free" so no one is very worried. When I called state Ag they told me not necessary unless I'm trying to start a business selling my milk. I don't care what they say - I still would like to test.

Is the congested udder a symptom of any of those diseases?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Getting her tested would give peace of mind.
Also test for mastitis in case.
I agree, do all the tests you can, to ease the mind of your dear Hubby! It is not important if the vet worries or not, your husband does, and he is the one you love, and who is close. Are there other states you could send a sample to?

Mastitis, if present, can easily be transferred from one teat to the other by a suckling kid. And to your other does, if available.

Yes, and WELCOME from me as well! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can send samples in my state, and vets will do the tests too, but reluctantly. Today was the third time a vet has “talked me out of” testing for TB and others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SalteyLove I wonder if they don’t do the TB there because it’s not a blood draw? I thought TB was a different type of test?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
@koko , do you have a state veterinary university? I am sure they would test for anything you wanted.
Way back in the 70's TB test was was a scratch test with something, maybe dead virus, that got read a week or two later. All school employees had to take.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts